Dead MAP sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead MAP sensor

Hey guys So I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is. I had my front flex pipe replaced a little over 2 weeks and the shop broke my O2 sensor because they said it was seized so I had to pay for a replacement . Anyway a few days later my engine light came on and I thought the O2 sensor was dead. In 5 years I've never even seen the Engine light on my car before tongue I brought it back to the garage and they tested it. The code is 5 which is MAP sensor. According to my info code 3 is an Electrical problem and code 5 is a Vacuum problem. Part source wants 285$ for the sensor.... Now my car is idling low and drops to about 200 rpm when I stop at a light, plus the tranny is shifting noticeably worse. What would you recommend as the best course of action? I do not really have $400 more to spend this pay when last pay It cost me $500 for exhaust repair. Does anyone have any experience with MAP sensors?

My Members Ride Page

I had MAP sensor go bad once. It would cause random driveability issues, specifically surging of the engine. You would lose engine performance, then it would come back and cause a surging motion. I specifically remember it occurring taking off from a stop. It is dangerous, because you can't predict that when you hit the gas, the car will actually go (imagine intersection situations).

My suggestion, if you can not afford a new one (yes, they are expensive). Buy a working used, replace it yourself, not hard. It is in the emissions black box above fuel filter, next to under-hood fuse box.

Take the box apart, remove vacuum line going to MAP sensor, remove MAP sensor (1 screw) and replace. I would remove 7.5 amp Radio (ECU backup) fuse for atleast 10 seconds, to reset ECU so it can relearn. Then, drive.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Did that exhaust shop actually replace O2 sensor with new?

Comment

yeah apparently they used an NTK, which is what they use there, and what I had in the car

My Members Ride Page

Comment

NTK is a good O2 sensor brand. So O2 sensor should not be the issue. By the way them NTK sensors cost $75 at Summit Racing. Wonder how much they charged you.

Comment

120$, I paid 100$ for the same onea year earlier

My Members Ride Page

Comment

yeah so, it turns out that they cut the O2 sensor wires to short and the Wires cut cut right in half on the O2 sensor.......... The MAP sensor is fine. So for anyone thats wondering, if your O2 sensor is not connected the ECU throws a code 5 which is vaccumm problem with MAP sensor

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80 View Post
                yeah so, it turns out that they cut the O2 sensor wires to short and the Wires cut cut right in half on the O2 sensor.......... The MAP sensor is fine. So for anyone thats wondering, if your O2 sensor is not connected the ECU throws a code 5 which is vaccumm problem with MAP sensor
                i disagree...you most likely would get one for o2 heater circuit. o2 has nothing to do with the map sensor or vacuum itself.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

not according to what happened on my car. The MAP sensor is the exact opposite side of the same system as the O2.

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Working...
                  X