NO power and really rough idle - spark plug tube seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO power and really rough idle - spark plug tube seals

Ok well i know im gonna get flamed mad for this but heres the deal.

Recently noticed every one of my spark plug tubes was filled with oil so...

I bought the felpro vc gasket set and some ngk spark plugs

took it all apart replaced seals and gasket changed plugs and put it all back together.

i go to fire it up and its got a really really rough idle i give it some gas and itll pop (backfire). Well i had to be to work in like 30 min from this all happening and i tried a test drive to see if i could get anywhere..

I "tried" to drive but it has absolutely no power at all i mean i was like maxed out at 60 in 5th gear. But i only hit that speed cause' of the hill.

IM SO FU$KeD please any oppinions, answers, flames, and bad comments are welcome.
    ** BUY MY STUFF **

Did you verify the gap on the new plugs? Or that the part number was for sure for your motor, since most NGK plugs come pre-gapped? Also, it might sound stupid, but it happens a lot, double check the plug wire are in the right place. That's about all I can think regarding your circumstance. Let me know if this helps any.

'92 Accord DX

Comment

plugs are good and ive checked and rechecked the firing order so the wires are in the right spot.

thing is when i pull the number 3 cylinders plug wire it doesnt change idle.

would a valve lash not being done cause this serious of a problem?

im also going to be checking the injectors tomarrow maybe (i had to keep my car at gf's parents which is 40 min away)
      ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

Was it acting up before, and that was the reason that led you to the oil in the plug tubes? If it was fine before, I can't picture it acting up for any other reason that what you just worked on. I mean, anything is possible, you never know, but just highly unlikely.

'92 Accord DX

Comment

Nope wasnt acting up before. Just after doing the stuff ive listed.

im hoping some other members will chime in that have some good experience.
          ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

no other oppinions?
            ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

Originally posted by 93tunerofdacb7 View Post
              Nope wasnt acting up before. Just after doing the stuff ive listed.

im hoping some other members will chime in that have some good experience.
              Whoa, wait a minute. Are you trying to say you don't think I have experience? Haha. That's funny. I like that. If you don't mind, I'd like to quote that remark of yours for my signature. LMFAO

'92 Accord DX

Comment

lol no i wasnt implying anything just that your suggestions werent the problem.. in all honesty

its fixed now (it was the plug wires) so if anything im the one who looks the retard.
                ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

its probably your lower tube seals that are leaking. This involves removing the entire rocker arm assembly. Do that and see if its leaking afterward. They look like O rings vs the thick rubber gaskets that just go on the underside of the valve cover.

Takes a couple hours to do, if it's your first time ever doing it.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Losi as stated in the original post i notice the oil in the spark plug tubes and then went and replaced the gasket set (gasket and seals)

the problem was that it was running rough ( rough idle, sounded like a lawn mower in all honesty) well its all well now and thanks guys.

You wont have to deal with me much longer as i may be trading to the dark side (civic)
                    ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

so what did the turn out to be..... i think i may be in the same boat as you are..... i replaced the tube seals and gasket and hooked up my msd set up and the thing was still running like poo. i have oil in my tubes again so im guessing the lower seals are bad..... didnt feelllikegoing that in depth

Comment

misfire?

we may both have injector issues. i have cold start issues like a bastard too.

life is good.

Comment

lol well it ended up being my plug wires the inards of the tube were out makin it look like a nipple on the end well i just shoved it back in and walahh it was fine but i still need to replace the wire.. i still have a slight misfire but thats due to cap n rotor. Getting replace tomarrow (today sunday)

check those things out and let me know

yea its prolly ur lower seals if not rings hope its not rings tho.. replacing those lower seals is really easy too just follow the diy on here or use your manual.
                          ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

I hope it's not rings too. I'm sure some of the oil problems are due to them though, they're prone to wear over time, it's just their design. If so, oh well, could be worse--I could have terrible new england body rotlol.

life is good.

Comment

Working...
                            X