alternator belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator belt

Ok the damn thing snapped on me last nite i was able to drive it home before the battery start dying. Anyway the belt itself is pretty cheap but is it hard to replace. A friend of mine told me with patience and a big prybar. Any1 has their input on this one
    U silly rabbit don't u know tricks are made for kidz, You without me is like corn flakes without the milk! This my world, you just a squirrel trying to get a nut!!

It's not a hard job...it does take about 45 minutes though...
    Here's what to do (Iv'e messed with those belts...a lot)

Buy the belt, if you have AC be sure to buy the AC one, get the gatorback goodyear brand at autozone, they work MUCH better and are very quiet (16.99 at autozone for the alternator and ac belt)

Once you get the belt
    Open the hood, Loosen the top pivot bolt on the top of the power steering pulley, then loosen the power steering adjustment nut on the lower power steering bracket
    Push the Power steering pump/pully down to loosen the ps belt, then remove the power steering belt from the pulleys

Then Take the gator belt and stick it sideways through the narrow space so you can get one side to the bottom pulley then wrap it around the AC pulley

Now loosen the Alternator adjustment and pivot bolts then pull the belt as hard as you can near the ac pully and get it on the alt pulley
    you might have to pull a little bit but IT WILL slide right into the grooves, , then use a crow bar and find a part of the alt to pry off and make sure the alt is up as far as it can go and the belt is nice and tight! after that just tighten all the bolts and you should know what to do with the ps pulley

I had to replace these belts twice because the previous owner lost the alternator adjustment plate and bolts so the belt would always become loose and squeal and eventually get shredded into a million pieces!

Good luck, I know you can do it!

AND REMEMBER when you buy the alternator belt don't let them talk you into a new powersteering belt...buy one when it snaps, the PS belt is so easy to put on its just not worth buying a extra if you dont have too (our cars without power steering is a breeze anyway lol)

and if you need more help AIM or Yahoo me, or if you just wanna talk its so lonely up here lol
    Last edited by dusty; 01-11-2005, 09:04 PM.
    So, is that what you call a getaway?
    Tell me what you got away with.
    Cause I've seen more spine in jellyfish.
    I've seen more guts in eleven-year-old kids.

Have another drink and drive yourself home.
    I hope there's ice on all the roads.
    And you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt,
    and again when your head goes through the windshield.

And is that what you call tact?
    You're as subtle as a brick in the small of my back.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed replied.... Got a question if there's 2 belts one connecting AC to alternator and an other one from PS to where?
      U silly rabbit don't u know tricks are made for kidz, You without me is like corn flakes without the milk! This my world, you just a squirrel trying to get a nut!!

Comment

Your welcome

Yes there are two belts, one that goes from the crank to the power steering which is on the outer most ring of the crank pulley then the alternator (and ac if your car has the compressor for air conditioning) on the inner most ring

You MUST remove the power steering belt before you can put on/take off the alternator/ac belt

take a look and youll see what i mean!

Comment

ok my PS hasn't worked in over a year and i have gotten use to it if i remove it what will go to the crank? And i think both belt came off cause the belt going to the PS is off and when i looked down there the AC which is at the very bottom (correct me if I am wrong) there's no belt either.
          Last edited by JailBa8; 01-12-2005, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I think this is what your asking...

the alternator belt goes on the the lowest level of the crank
            The crank is the biggest pulley, it is the only pulley that has two sets of wheels on it, the alternator belt goes on the deepest pulley on the crank, the pulley wheel that IS CLOSEST to the engine...

If I were you I would buy both belts and you have to put the alternator belt on first, you have to do this because it goes on the ring deepest on the crank pulley, the power steering belt goes around the pump and on the outermost ring of the two

i hope thats what your asking, its been along day and im kinda tired

ill try and take a pic to help you out, gimme a little to post that up

edit// just realized your asking what will go in place of the power steering belt on the outermost crank pulley

well if you dont have power steering/dont want it you can just leave it like that, the only thing that goes on there is the power steering belt

but like i said if i were you buy both belts, then stick the alternator one on then the power steering one on and youll have a normal car again!

Comment

Aight i got thanks man
              So if understand correctly all i need is the alt belt that goes from alt to crank to AC. Now my AC hasn't worked in over a year and i can live without. Now even if i leave the AC in the car (will remove it when i do the engine swap) can i just get the alt belt without AC. If yes it'll be a breeze to fix all i need is alt to crank and that's it right?

Comment

Thats a good question...

Im not sure if the ac compressor will get in the way or not!

I guess you could grab that belt try and if it doesnt work just exchange it, or you could take out the ac compressor all together but it looks pretty hard to get too!

then again i dont really see how it would get in the way so it might work fine, so my guess is you would be ok with just getting the crank/alternator belt

Comment

It shouldn't get in the way the alternator pulley is right above the crank pulley
                  Last edited by JailBa8; 01-13-2005, 11:12 AM.

Comment

good luck with it

let me know how it turns out for you!

and just some extra info

the pivot bolts need a 15mm socket, the adjustment bolts a 10mm, and the prybar

Comment

anyone know the size nut on the lower side of the power steering pump...im changing out my alternator and i cant get that nut off....and im begining to strip it so i want to know the exact size
                      Originally posted by fizzbob7 i think the "jdm everything" craze is funny........it's the same thing, a fad.......and an overpriced one at that
                      Originally posted by uncle_el believe it or not, this forum is not about you or your post count. it's about providing relevant information and exchanging it with one another, in order to help build a community. if you don't like that, please leave.

Comment

Size Of Alt. Adjuster Bolts

Hey Last Night My Alt Started To Squeal And I Found Out I Only Have The Top Bolt In The Alt I Need To Know What Size That Bolt Is So I Can Put Another One In There. Thanx
                        THIS ONE HERE IS CRACK!!

Comment

Working...
                        X