Wheel Hop. What's normal what's not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Hop. What's normal what's not.

Hi so ive read through the threads on wheel hop.

I recently did my clutch and flywheel, and the swap was fairly easy(Time consuming but easy) unfortunately I didn't have a torque wrench. But I did have my dad(Who's beastly strong lol) put in the bolts on the fly and clutch. So I definitely know the hop isn't from that.

But the clutch has maybe 50 miles on it lol at the moment.

My friend raced a VW with his civic and had crazy wheel hop in launch.

And I wanted to see how a launch would be with the CB. So I didn't totally beat on it but I started at like 2-3k and the tires spinned for a bit then I got really bad wheel hop.

He said it was basically normal to have some wheel hop on steelies.

My question is what is "Normal" Wheel hop and what is the bad wheel hop where I should be looking into rear motor mount and traction bar.

Originally posted by Reignstarz View Post
    rear motor mount and traction bar.
    Answered your own question. Solid engine mounts and a traction bar. Bang Bang.
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
      You think that's all it is? I also heard bad axles cause this.

But I am running the stock rear mount.

Comment

wheel hop isnt normal at all. tire pressure tire pressure tire pressure
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Weak struts to add to the list

Comment

I neutral dropped my auto once from 3k-4k (yes I know how bad it is, it was before I learned about preloading the suspension), and for the first 10-20ft I was spinning tires, smoke pouring from the wheel wells, and I didn't have wheel hop at all. Car was a completly unmodified f22a1 then, so i'd have to agree wed3k, wheel hop isn't normal at all.
            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
              Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              wheel hop isnt normal at all. tire pressure tire pressure tire pressure
              Originally posted by ATS666 View Post
              Weak struts to add to the list
              all problems I've had. After I went to solid mounts (and I run 36psi) wheel hop dropped with the solid mounts. But my struts weren't as horrible back when I did that as they are now.
              ____

Comment

Motor mounts, struts, tire pressure, etc. etc. etc.

Many culprits, but any sort of wheel hop isn't normal.
                R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned that wheel hop isn't normal? You definitely want to check the things that have been mentioned. Tire pressure, suspension pieces, etc, (especially struts - worn ones are the most likely cause of hop) and make sure they aren't almost ready to give out.

If you're learning to launch your car, tire spin is the enemy. A perfectly executed launch should make the tires chirp repeatedly in a series of tiny chirps. This lets you know that you are riding the edge of traction and any more power will result in tire spin. If they're spinning, they're not getting power to the ground effeciently.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                    Has anyone mentioned that wheel hop isn't normal? You definitely want to check the things that have been mentioned. Tire pressure, suspension pieces, etc, (especially struts - worn ones are the most likely cause of hop) and make sure they aren't almost ready to give out.

If you're learning to launch your car, tire spin is the enemy. A perfectly executed launch should make the tires chirp repeatedly in a series of tiny chirps. This lets you know that you are riding the edge of traction and any more power will result in tire spin. If they're spinning, they're not getting power to the ground effeciently.
                    Thank you I didn't know that(Seriously).

My suspension feels stiff over bumps and stuff, I do believe it might be the stock suspension.

My tire pressure on the door(DX) Says 30 Psi and that's what im running at. Is that what it's actually supposed to be at?

And I definitely thought some hop was normal. Guess not

Comment

Originally posted by Reignstarz View Post
                      Thank you I didn't know that(Seriously).

My suspension feels stiff over bumps and stuff, I do believe it might be the stock suspension.

My tire pressure on the door(DX) Says 30 Psi and that's what im running at. Is that what it's actually supposed to be at?

And I definitely thought some hop was normal. Guess not
                      Go by the tire pressure that is on the tires, not the door.

Your stock suspension may be in need of some maintenance/repair depending on the mileage.

How many miles are on your car exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
                        Go by the tire pressure that is on the tires, not the door.

Your stock suspension may be in need of some maintenance/repair depending on the mileage.

How many miles are on your car exactly?
                        you NEVER do that. Thats the MAX recommended pressure. You would only do that for a trailer tire, which suits the only purpose of carrying a load, so the max pressure would help support the max load of the tire to its limits. A normal car tire has to combat flexing under braking, cornering, acceleration all while trying to steer in this case.

32~35 psi is about right for a normal, 15" tire.

But to the OP, check your motor mount. mainly your front and rear ones, those are the ones that have to deal w/ the torquing of the engine when under a load such as acceleration and shifting.

I know I had tons of wheel hop at the drag strip when I first tried launching, but I only had 3 mounts, granted they were the ESP poly mounts but the front one is crucial in helping put the power down, so I reinstalled that one after the rear mount was pretty much trashed. Luckily ESP sent me some new inserts the same week to make it good as new. Haven't had an issue since I put the front mount in.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          you NEVER do that. Thats the MAX recommended pressure. You would only do that for a trailer tire, which suits the only purpose of carrying a load, so the max pressure would help support the max load of the tire to its limits. A normal car tire has to combat flexing under braking, cornering, acceleration all while trying to steer in this case.
                          Wow, I have been thinking the opposite for years. Thank you for correcting me man.

Comment

i think the type of tires you have can play a role as well.

my car never did it until i got aftermarket wheels.

my totally stock 6th gen does it sometimes.

my friends 60k mile stock rsx does it all the time too. later.
                            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
                              Wow, I have been thinking the opposite for years. Thank you for correcting me man.
                              yeah no problem, we always have weekly meetings about tire stuff at work, I work at Discount tire co. and it just so happened that last sat. we talked about how you can't put trailer tires on cars b/c they're not designed to function as a normal tire. But you could put car tires on trailers, given they can support the load. So: car tire > trailer tire in many aspects. They may look like they're both made of rubber, but its internally where you see the structure of how the tire is made that makes the difference. Some car tires have carbon fiber or kevlar in the sidewalls to increase strength and toughness.
                              Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                              i think the type of tires you have can play a role as well.

my car never did it until i got aftermarket wheels.

my totally stock 6th gen does it sometimes.

my friends 60k mile stock rsx does it all the time too. later.
                              yeah how the car stands with the offset of the tire in relation to the suspention makes a diff. on how it can grip. There's so many different compounds of rubber out there, so many different speed ratings that all play a factor on how the tire will respond. I still dont know everything about tires and I've been working there for about a year and a half.

I do know from experience which tires feel the grippiest when new and which companies make tires better: sidewalls, inner lining, beads, etc. But so far, I think the best tire out there is a Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. We put one of those a Viper the other day, 345/30R19 and that thing was UBER grippy.

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X