Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp raises after long idle times (not normal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp raises after long idle times (not normal)

Car: 1990 accord
    Problem: I recently changed my radiator approximately 3-4 months ago and have had no problems thus far. Well the other night I was sitting in my car just hanging out with a girl and looked down at the speedo and saw my temp gauge was about 3/4 of the way up ( a little more than normal) then I quickly turned on the a/c which turned on the fans and the temp gauge went down. I know the fans are still turning on and still functioning but when it heats up I don't feel them kick on.

Radiator fluid is full and clean, but another thing is when I shut off the car if/once the problem starts and I turn it on to the temp gauge is at like 1/4 so could it be the temp sending unit?

I have no problem with overheating during driving or anything like that but if I am sitting in at idle or at a stop for 10-15 minutes it starts to overheat...I am thinking thermostat but typically wouldn't it be all the time for it would be stuck open/shut/partially?

TIA

edit: changed my thermostat problem still persistant could it be temp sending unit or something?
    No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

ive heard that if you dont bleed the coolant system right there will be air bubbles in hte system, and that causes overheatoing sometimes.....i believe there is a trouble code for the temperature sending unit...check your ECU codes and see what you throw..btw hte temperature sending unit is right on the thermostat housing, its a green plug..i think....

Comment

hey man did you fix your overheating problem while idle? my car is doing it now..and i just changed my thermostat as well..

Comment

Sounds like the fan relay is shot. Same thing happened to me. I'd be sittin in a drivethru and the temp guage would shoot up quick.

Think its a dealer only part which sucks.
        "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

is it the water pump? i think thats what its called.....

Comment

well hey, i put my old radiator cap on just a sec ago....and i got all the bubbles out of the system...but i havent drove it yet, i let it idle for like 15 minutes and it didnt get hot....but i dont think my fan relays are bad, because BOTH my fans kicked on when the car got to optimal running temperature...but i was talking to a buddy of mine, and he asked me where i got the new thermostat at, and i said o'reillys, and he said never get a thermo from them, he gets all his parts from them except thermostats, he goes to autozone for thermostats. but both my upper and lower radiator hoses get hot, so i think the thermo is working also...because if it wasnt, wouldnt the lower hose not get hot? i believe accordztech said that somewhere on this forum...

Comment

i had the same problem a while back. it turned out to be the thermostat. i changed it and all was well.

Comment

well i bought a thermostat from auto zone, and no overheating yet!! but my lower hose is still getting really swollen right where it connects to ther thermostat housing...

Comment

bringing this back to life

well this started happening to me when i took the car out tonight. i stopped at a light, and once it hit green (no more then 2 minutes) i noticed that my temperature was at 3/4 and still rising. i thought to myself, shit i'm going to overheat... but played it cool, and drove on. it went back to normal temperature. when i stopped quick at my friend's house, it started to rise again while i was in reverse... is it my thermostat? or could it be anything else?

Click Here for My Member's Page | Free money for searching the web. Needs PayPal account

Comment

bump, need help

Click Here for My Member's Page | Free money for searching the web. Needs PayPal account

Comment

First check and make sure that BOTH fans are comming on and cycling normally.
                      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by shimoto

well this started happening to me when i took the car out tonight. i stopped at a light, and once it hit green (no more then 2 minutes) i noticed that my temperature was at 3/4 and still rising. i thought to myself, shit i'm going to overheat... but played it cool, and drove on. it went back to normal temperature. when i stopped quick at my friend's house, it started to rise again while i was in reverse... is it my thermostat? or could it be anything else?
                        you know, there is a switch called thermoswitch. if that is bad, it will cause your cooling fans not to come on when it is suppose to.
                        The beginning of a new era............................
                        165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                        184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

humm is both hoses hot? if they are then its not ur thermo at all.

when the fan kicks in does it go down?

you may not have efficient cooling, there may be crap on the radiator fins that air cant flow through smoothly, or your fan shroud for the radiator fans is ghettorigged or not on the radiator, killing usuable cooling.

does it do with the AC running?

is the fans running fast or slow? my uncle had a issue where the fan was just operating too slow...lol it was weird and turned out to be both fans just going bye bye.

there are 3 control units for the cooling system; coolant temp sensor, condencer fan sensor and something else. one of those can be out of wack, those range from 20-60 a piece or a good trip to the junk yard.
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by shimoto

Well the reason mine went was because I didn't tighten all the clamps and connections tightly and this caused fluid to leak and thus no fluid in my radiator. I would check all connections to hoses, check hoses and also that when you turn on your a/c both fans come on.
                            No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

Here are some causes of malfunctioning fans.

Blown Relay or a Bad connection( No CEL given, fans just don't turn on)

Bad Thermoswitch
                              3 switches ( 1 on the rear thermostat housing, on the cylinder head and one on the from thermostat housing) Usually gives a CEL

Bad thermostat
                              Open the radiator with the car warmed up (be careful, don't force it and wear some clothes you dont care about) , if it opens up easily then a thermostat is bad.

Bad fan motors
                              Run the fan to the battery to test if its running properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X