Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant smell inside the car???? HELP

i have a 1990 accord ex. automatic

everytime i start the car to go to work, the engine idles fine and with no issues at all but after a few minutes i start smelling coolant inside the car, i start drivin and the car feels normal, it idles fine and everything , but theres still that coolant smell, after a few days the coolant level on the radaitor would go down and the reservoir tank level would also go down. the car doesnt overheat or loose power.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? Thanks
    Last edited by 408cb7; 02-17-2010, 04:26 PM.

CALI LIFE STYLE
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=145883

Are you noticing any coolant on the passenger side floor? If so, the heater core is bad

Comment

mine was leaking at the heater control valve and the smell would come into the car.

cleaned connections, put new hose clamps and it has been fine.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Pull up the rugs on both sides. Smell the rug and feel around on it at the front and see if it feels wet or get a papertowel a white one and press down hard if you see green then its your heatercore.

Comment

yea what ^ said sounds like the heater core is leaking...had it happen on my old camery...sucked to fix!!

1990 Accord LX Sedan~Sold
          1993 Accord EX Sedan~Sold
          1995 Suzuki GSX-R 750~Totaled

Comment

if no coolant is found on your rug, then the leak is on the outside..and its just that the smell is coming through the vents...when the car is at normal operating temperature you should pop your hood and take a look...i had a pinhole in one of my coolant lines and it wasnt gushing intensly but just enough to have that icky smell of maple cookies
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
              Are you noticing any coolant on the passenger side floor? If so, the heater core is bad
              My problem with the same symptomes was the heater core, also... but mine wasn't bad enough to get the carpet wet... but sometimes a little misty fog would come out of the heater vents.

Pain in the butt repair! Instead of following Haynes and Chilton to take out the steering column, I just let it down enough to get the dash over it, so I didn't have to re-align it... but still took an entire day.

Comment

check the small heater hoses going into the heater core from the engine bay on the fire wall, mind had a small leak there. best thing to do is to grab some white cardboard and lay it under your engine. should give you a rough idea of where its leaking from.
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

Working...
                X