Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New battery, new starter, new grinding noise..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New battery, new starter, new grinding noise..

Here's a quick run-down of the last 2 weeks:

+Battery Died
    +Bought Used Battery, car wouldn't start, even when jumped I didn't even get a clicking noise (YES, I cleaned every wire, terminal and post between here and heaven, the starter is dead)
    +Bought a new starter, but 3 days had passed and the battery was dead from just sitting in the cold (0*F) car. Jumped it with my truck, started right up!
    +While starting the car, I noticed a loud grinding noise every 1-2 cranks. I figured I needed a shim kit or something along those lines.
    +Went to Tires Plus for some nitrogen in the tires (shut up, it's free and leaks slower than air), turned the car off, left the lights on, came back 2 minutes later and the battery was dead. Determined the new (used) battery was dead.
    +Brought my new (used) battery to the parts store, put it on the bench, charged it, determined it was bad.
    +Swapped it for a good battery, tested said battery and charged it, it's a good battery. I also asked about a shim kit, one does not exist for our cars apparently,.
    +Put this new battery in the car, starts right up, but I still get that annoying grinding sound every 1-2 cranks. The car starts up usually within 1 crank, so the sound is minimal, but letting it sit overnight and trying to start it in 0*F weather it WILL be more obvious.

So, what the hell is this grinding sound? It sounds kind of like the noise towards the end of the cranking in this video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a18AO403fXE

EXCEPT that mine sounds more like metal grinding against metal, not just the starter winding down. My starter noise isn't constant, it only does it every 1-2 cranks (e.g: turn-turn-grind-turn-turn-grind.. etc).

Here's the steps I took to replace the starter:

1.) Unhooked and removed the battery.
    2.) Unbolted the metal arm holding the AC line in place over the passenger's side rad. fan.
    3.) Unbolted the rad. fan, unplugged it, took it out.
    4.) Unhooked the power and ACC lead from the starter, pushed them aside.
    5.) Unbolted the lower starter bolt, then the upper starter bolt.
    6.) Removed the starter.
    7.) Plopped the new starter in, and bolted it down, not taking into account any sort of adjusting or position, except to make sure it fit and that the bolts lined up properly.
    8.) Plugged the starter back in to power and the ACC lead
    9.) Put the fan back, plugged it in.
    10.) Bolted the AC line mount back in place.
    11.) Put the battery back in, and hooked it up.

Was I suppose to adjust something or line the teeth up in some way before I tightened everything down? I read the DIY here before doing this, and followed it to a T.

I've got another starter on order and it'll be here in a few hours, but wonder if you guys had any input on this before I put the work in on this again..
    Last edited by mak; 01-14-2010, 03:54 PM.

Bought From: MadSpleen85, jimy, CB7_ACCORD (kouzie), Chrisfrom1986
    Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
    Traded With: cb95spd, chessboxer, sohc em
    [ Completed | Pending ]

have you inspected the ring gear?
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
      have you inspected the ring gear?
      The starter had a bad drive. I swapped it out for a new one and it's all good now

Thanks anyway.

Bought From: MadSpleen85, jimy, CB7_ACCORD (kouzie), Chrisfrom1986
      Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
      Traded With: cb95spd, chessboxer, sohc em
      [ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

I hate my F20B starter doesnt work
        Its sooooo quiet the American one is ungodly loud compared.
        I think it has the same problem.
        Your man for wiring solutions!
        CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
        CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Originally posted by mak View Post
          The starter had a bad drive. I swapped it out for a new one and it's all good now

Thanks anyway.
          what is a bad starter drive? cus my car does the same??

MY RIDE thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157293

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I was also wondering what a bad starter drive is, if anyone would like to explain to me.

I just replaced my old starter with a rebuilt one from Kragen Auto Parts,and its grinding pretty often, like the sound that your car makes when you try to start an already started car. It works flawlessly every now and then, but each time i start I'm constantly worrying. Should I just return it and swap it for another one?
            blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

swap it to another one.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
              X