My bitch was thirsty!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bitch was thirsty!!!!

ok now, im not sure whats going on, but i just changed my oil... and it took 6qts. WTF?!?!?! i thought it was always 4. i changed the filter, of course. after adding 4, i couldnt even see the line... so i kept adding little by little. i ended up putting a full 6 in, and now it sits just a hair above the top dot. i dont remember adding that much in the past.

is that normal??? maybe the h22 takes more, beats me...

i did a quick search on h-t and people are saying 5.1 or 6 if you have an oil cooler. do any motors have stock oilcoolers? my car is on level ground... and can go take a pic of the dipstick. its just barely above the top dot. they were also saying something about 92-96 taking more oil than the 97+ i know how to change my oil, but it just doesnt make sense.

Comment

ok thanks for the help.

btw, since i am just a hair over the top dot, is that a bad thing? i know if you go over too much it can be bad. i figure itll drop by itself. over a month or two i will burn a little oil off... since im a very "efficient" driver, and i like to call it.

Comment

6 is waaaay too much man, if you run it too long something will give. Most likely a gasket or seal....

Comment

well i didnt wanna take any chances, so i went out and drained a little out. now its a little bit below the top line... better safe than sorry.

thanks again guys.

Comment

Mine is alittle below the bottom dot cuz of my oil leak I need to get fixed. Every time I change my oil its about 5 quarts between the dots, then the next day when the oil leaks and the oil line goes past the bolts on the pan its below the bottome dot. What would the engine act up like if theres not enough oil?

Comment

It would start to overheat at first, then if you kept running it, it would run like crap, finally it would seize up......sadness...

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                and the oil coolers weren't common and i've never seen one, but they'd be on the lude itself and not the motor, so you'd have to bolt it on or whomever did the install would have had to........and you would see it easily.......

i think you are talking about something else. The oil cooler is a disk looking part, about an inch thick that goes between the block and the oil filter. There are two coolant lines running out of it. Mine had it, and i thought most of the h22's were equipped with one. But i do know for sure that its just bolted on there, and not on the car itself.

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685
                  i think you are talking about something else. The oil cooler is a disk looking part, about an inch thick that goes between the block and the oil filter. There are two coolant lines running out of it. Mine had it, and i thought most of the h22's were equipped with one. But i do know for sure that its just bolted on there, and not on the car itself.
                  pretty much all hondas (maybe all cars?) have this small type of cooler but fizzbob was talking about an additional one which would be somewhat like a radiator with lines running to it behind the front bumper. so there would be additional oil needed to fill that system up.
                  HSHO #3

Comment

my jdm f22a has this oil cooler thing, my usdm f22a1 did not.. the f22a1 had the oil filter screwing in dirrectly to the block. I've got this little extention thing sittin like 1" - 1 1/2" from the block on my jdm f22a... and it's got two lines running from it, i don't know where the hell they run to though..

does this mean that i need to put in more then 4-5 quarts in my f22?
                    --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

^ werd.. thanks.. it just kinda confused me... i was un-aware that it had this..
                      --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                        the one that fits between the filter and block doesn't really make any type of difference at all in heat transfer or capacity
                        On Tuesday, I went to 2 junkyards and I happened to find 2 CB7's w/ oil coolers (like the one Ricky ^ had described above). I'm going to guess that b/c of the temp. of the coolant, this ends up being like how the T/B is heated up instead of cooled down by the coolant. Would the coolant flowing through the cooler heat the oil and not cool it down? Is what I stated correct, making it not worth it? Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I'll stick to Oil Cooler-less, thanks anyways
                        Last edited by Granite CB7; 07-09-2005, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X