Hard starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard starts

Ok, I have been noticing that as it has slowly gotten colder here in FL the car has gotten harder and harder to start...sometimes totally killing the battery after about 10min of trying to start her. At first I thought it was the battery, so I swapped it with a new one...no difference. Funny thing is it seems electrical, when it is VERY hard to start, if I get someone to hook up with jumper cables she fires right up, everytime. But my battery is good to go.

I have a couple theories, but wanted to see what others thought...maybe someone has had this before. I think possibly, distributor bad, or bad ground cables. I'm getting fuel, compression is good, timing is on...

Thanks in advance!

*Click on photo for my MR thread

main relay? alternator killing your battery? just throwing out ideas

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Sounds to me like a distributor problem. Measure the power going to it while it isn't being jumped.
      R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

check for resistance and dirt corrosion on power and ground cables.

if you have a hard time setarting even with new battery then you jump it and its fine, then its a bad ground or power.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

ur car is haunted kyleeeee
          Originally posted by deevergote
          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
            Believe it maaaan.
            R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
              Believe it maaaan.

It sounds like a dizzy issue to me. Check the rotor, and posts for any corrosion. How long ago did it receive a general tune-up? It could be an electrical issue but that's weird that it doesn't change significantly with a new battery hooked up

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post

Thanks Oscar LOL

I did forget to mention that about 1000 miles ago I did a complete tune up. It's just hard to go through and check everything right now, Holidays, wife works pretty much everyday, our only car at the moment... guess I'll start with grounds and checking continuity on the cables.

Comment

it's cold in FL?

anyways.. yeah i would check the grounds. I had a loose ground on my CB9 which eventually came off...

94 Accord Wagon EX-R/H22A 5 speed
                  91 Accord Wagon EX-R/ F22A6 5 speed
                  93 Accord Wagon EX/ F22A4
                  91 Accord Sedan EX/ F22A4 5 speed
                  94 Accord Sedan EX-R/ F22b1 5 speed
                  94 Accord Sedan EX-R/ F22b1

Comment

Originally posted by naphta91 View Post
                    it's cold in FL?

anyways.. yeah i would check the grounds. I had a loose ground on my CB9 which eventually came off...
                    LOL....today I'm in jeans and a t-shirt MUCH different than being in TN last year, I missed living here soooo much.

I know the grounds are tight, but a quick check and the main ground in frayed a bit. I'm going to replace that when I can and go ahead and clean all the others.

Comment

not to be a douche but if it didnt start in the first 5 minutes, what would make you think it would start in 10 minutes?

does it crank slow or at optimum speed?
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Cranks normally
                        ... and yeah I understand wht you're saying but I wouldn't keep cranking if it didn't seem like it wanted to start. Best I can describe it is it's like trying to start a car not firing all cylinders...hence the reason I think it may be the dizzy

Comment

when it is cranking without a set of jumpers to it. is there spark?
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

Yes...after talking with my dad tonight, he says it may be the starter going bad. When the motor is cold the starter pulls more amps to start the car. Still not sure on this one. Going to stick with checking the grounds this coming weekend and go from there.

Comment

but you said it cranks normally.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X