Press-in wheel bearings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Press-in wheel bearings...

Too bad it can't just be a whole hub assembly Anyway, how hard are the wheel bearings to DIY on our cars? I searched, didn't yield much. I've never really had a problem with bearings until I got this car money pit.

life is good.

90-97 Accords have hub-over-rotor design in the vehicle front.

That being said, if you have to get in there to replace wheel bearings, do consider if you need new brake rotors. It is a lot easier to do then and also to replace the lower ball-joints.

I like to remove the entire front knuckle assembly. Jack up front of car, remove wheels, remove brake assembly. Remove spindle nut and disconnect all 3 ball-joints. Remove knuckle assembly from vehicle. It's a long shot, but consider rotor-over-hub conversion at this point, if wanted.

Reference www.tasauto.com for familiarity of these parts and they have some nice kits, that may make your job easier if you have some money.

Remove 4 screws from vehicle inboard side of knuckle assembly. Remove screws that hold hub to rotor on vehicle outboard side. With vehicle inboard side of wheel bearing facing upwards, support outboard side of rotor with some blocks on a press. Orientate the wheel bearing flange so it will press out without interference with rotor. Find metal tubing/socket and press out the wheel bearing from the knuckle and rotor. You will be left with the hub/wheel bearing assembly.

Support wheel bearing flange and press out the hub. Sometimes the outboard race of the wheel bearing will remain on the hub outer diameter. If that is the case, cut it off carefully with cutoff wheel. Careful not to cut into the hub diameter, debur any sharp edges left behind and clean. Press new wheel bearing assembly onto hub. Install rotor to hub via 4 screws. Then align rotor/hub/wheel bearing assembly into knuckle bore and install those 4 screws. Torque these screws evenly to draw wheel bearing into bore evenly. Torque to 33 lb-ft. Reinstall knuckle assembly, brakes, spindle nut, wheels, etc.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I might add, be very careful when pressing the wheel bearing out of the knuckle bore. On my friend's 92', the wheel bearing was stuck in the bore so tight, the pressure from the press actually snapped the rotor clean in half. Just be prepared to replace rotors if needed. I'm not telling you this to scare you, and it's not common (haven't had the issue on the other 3 Accords I've done, and it was only on one side of the 92'), but it is a possibility.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
        I might add, be very careful when pressing the wheel bearing out of the knuckle bore. On my friend's 92', the wheel bearing was stuck in the bore so tight, the pressure from the press actually snapped the rotor clean in half. Just be prepared to replace rotors if needed. I'm not telling you this to scare you, and it's not common (haven't had the issue on the other 3 Accords I've done, and it was only on one side of the 92'), but it is a possibility.
        Thanks! I appreciate it, going to look into prices and hopefully will have some spare time soon, cuz the right one is gettin noisy and I dont wanna push it...

life is good.

Comment

thats why you take the rotor off first then put the wheelbearing and hub on the press machine.
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
            thats why you take the rotor off first then put the wheelbearing and hub on the press machine.
            Hard to do when the wheel bearing/hub is still stuck in the knuckle.
            Originally posted by sweet91accord
            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Hard to do when the wheel bearing/hub is still stuck in the knuckle.
              hah I had that, this is what i did.

http://hondalover11279.tripod.com/rotorremoval.html

takes it right off.

it helps to spray the crap out of it with some pb blaster.

and instead of a air hammer I used my 3 pound hammer and really just gave a few good kits and it started comming off.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
              X