Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Igniter problem?

Hey Everyone,

Last night when I started my car everything seemed fine, i started to drive and then all the sudden the car just died, almost as if I was turning off the key, then when i tried to start it, the car just kept turning over, but no start, removed the key, re inserted, started, and then i was on my way, and then the car died again,

Lately at random times while driving, mostly in third or fourth gear my car would act like it was going to stall and then continue like normal, i had the igniter replaced a year ago, and since then, my tach needle bounces all over the place almost like there is some kind of power fluctuation,

Does this sound like a Igniter problem?

Thanks for your help

Jesse

I could be a loose connection with one of the wires on the ignitor... it might not be the problem but it would be a good first check.

Jay
    Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

Yes, it could be the ignitor, but the coil can also cause those symptoms.

Comment

hey guys...my car started to stall last night about 4-5 times and not all the times the car would want to start up again. i pulled the plugs and some were white, some had oil and one was black. i just replaced my ignitor in april so im assuming the plugs were prematurly worn out because of the misfiring.

i replaced the plugs and it worked...this morning, i stalled once. i was idling in the parking lot and it just died, exactly like how one would just shut the car off.
        what im thinking is the ignitor because i didnt exactly secure the ignitor in place within the dizzy.

should i check the wires, cap, rotor or coil while im at it?
        thanks for any help, im really scared of driving my car...lol
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

also check coil

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

well, i checked everything today and it ran fine...so i dont know why it was acting up. thanks guys.
            I <3 G60.

Comment

hey it could be bad plugs or loose or defective wires or like you said it may be the ignitor
              Speed kills - save a life - drive a VW (i did and it saved me )

Comment

Originally posted by Ensjesse
                Hey Everyone,

Last night when I started my car everything seemed fine, i started to drive and then all the sudden the car just died, almost as if I was turning off the key, then when i tried to start it, the car just kept turning over, but no start, removed the key, re inserted, started, and then i was on my way, and then the car died again,

Lately at random times while driving, mostly in third or fourth gear my car would act like it was going to stall and then continue like normal, i had the igniter replaced a year ago, and since then, my tach needle bounces all over the place almost like there is some kind of power fluctuation,

Does this sound like a Igniter problem?

Thanks for your help

Jesse
                I had the same exact problem as you in my car. When I took the car to the mechanic, he did a voltage check on the ignition system. I forget exactly which sensor it was, but I think it was the Crank Angle Sensor within the distributor. He swapped out the whole distributor with another he had around and problem solved. Its been 7 months now with no problems

Comment

Sounds like distributor to me... but I dunno. Start by checking the cap and rotor - the most overlooked maintenance part. If the cap doesn't fix the problem you probably need a whole new distributor. Check if it has red dust inside it when you take off the cap. If it does, it's done.

My CB7 is now ***FOR SALE***

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDing2R
                    Sounds like distributor to me... but I dunno. Start by checking the cap and rotor - the most overlooked maintenance part. If the cap doesn't fix the problem you probably need a whole new distributor. Check if it has red dust inside it when you take off the cap. If it does, it's done.
                    nope no red dust, im going to check the resistance on the plug wires.

the dizzy and wires are supposed to be fairly new.
                    the car doesnt stutter ot choak but just kills..like a kill switch.
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                    X