Inner tie rod replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inner tie rod replacement

Good day everyone. I'm planning on rebuilding my front suspension and along with that comes tie rods. I'd like to do both the inners and outers. While the outters are pretty self explanatory, can someone give me some hints on the inners along with new boots?

Is there a DIY on here for the inner tie's?

Thanks,
    Cris P.

you'll need a wrench or crow's foot to fit on the right side of this inner tire rod. the left side goes to the outer tie rod.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
      you'll need a wrench or crow's foot to fit on the right side of this inner tire rod. the left side goes to the outer tie rod.
      Would a pair of channel-locks work just as good?

Do I need to measure how far the inner screws in?

Comment

adjustable pliers? probably not. you screw it in till it gets tight.
        I <3 G60.

Comment

adjustable pliers? probably not. you screw it in till it gets tight.

Would these http://www.channellock.com/acb/store...roov_P21C3.cfm work?

I also have a crescent wrench, but I'm not sure if it would fit. I may have an open ended box wrench that would work. Do you know what size the inners are?

When I'm reinstalling, do I just screw them back in until tight? It's only on the outters I need to be concerned about how many threads are exposed for alignment purposes, correct?

Comment

1. honestly, i dont think channel locks will work.

2. i dont know what size, it is at least a 19mm. i would highly recommend a crow's foot or flarenut.

3. there is a torque spec on inner tie rods. you can use a tape measure and use the tire to get the alignment close enough to drive to the alignment shop.
            I <3 G60.

Comment

1. honestly, i dont think channel locks will work.

2. i dont know what size, it is at least a 19mm. i would highly recommend a crow's foot or flarenut.

3. there is a torque spec on inner tie rods. you can use a tape measure and use the tire to get the alignment close enough to drive to the alignment shop.
              I've got a set of open ended box wrenches, but I'll see if I can scoop up a crows foot set or flare set.

For the alignment aspect, I'm only concerned w/ the outter tie rods and how far they screw in correct? For the inners, I just screw in the left and right side into the rack tightly correct?

Are replacing the bellow boots pretty self explanatory?

Thanks,
              Cris P.

Comment

1. you can set the alignment via outer tie rods by the tires.

2. inners screw in a tighten, nothing to set.

3. the boots are just boots with two retaining clips on each side.
                I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                X