Possible ignitor problem???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible ignitor problem???

Just over the weekend I set my idle speed the correct way, car idles perfect.
    What i have noticed is that after driving for a couple of miles when I put the car back in PARK the RPMs jump between 900 and 1600 very quickly. The interesting fact is that after the cooling fans come on the idle comes back to 800 WTF???
    My question is is there any way to check the ignitor voltage?

ignitor is working cause your getting spark.

I forgot the exact thing but its that gold thing held in by 2 small screws near the upper plenum next to the IAc valve. Lol i cant think of the name on the top of my head, it either had to be replaced or i believe u can open it and tighten it.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
      I forgot the exact thing but its that gold thing held in by 2 small screws near the upper plenum next to the IAc valve. Lol i cant think of the name on the top of my head, it either had to be replaced or i believe u can open it and tighten it.
      You are talking about the FITV (fast idle thermo valve).
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

What do you mean you set idle the correct way? Did you follow my DIY sticky?

What is your base idle set at and is it a consistent 600 RPM? When you reconnect the IACV after the 600 RPM base idle set, does it go to 750-800 RPM?

I don't think it is the FITV, as it would have high idle problems when engine is cold typically. I think a key indicator here is that the idle goes back to normal, after cooling fans come on at idle. It could be engine load related that your idle goes back to normal. I still wonder if you set your base idle properly because the IACV controls idle under engine load.

Can you elaborate on this "cooling fan kicks on at idle, then idle goes back to 800 RPM" issue? I want to know what other systems you have turned on (if any) at this time. I'm talking headlights, rear defrost, A/C, etc. Anything that loads the engine.

I am also wondering the working condition of your rear engine mount (automatic tranny), since it has a vacuum line going to it. There a leak back there?
        Last edited by HondaFan81; 11-19-2009, 10:17 AM.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
          What do you mean you set idle the correct way? Did you follow my DIY sticky?

What is your base idle set at and is it a consistent 600 RPM? When you reconnect the IACV after the 600 RPM base idle set, does it go to 750-800 RPM?

I don't think it is the FITV, as it would have high idle problems when engine is cold typically. I think a key indicator here is that the idle goes back to normal, after cooling fans come on at idle. It could be engine load related that your idle goes back to normal. I still wonder if you set your base idle properly because the IACV controls idle under engine load.

Can you elaborate on this "cooling fan kicks on at idle, then idle goes back to 800 RPM" issue? I want to know what other systems you have turned on (if any) at this time. I'm talking headlights, rear defrost, A/C, etc. Anything that loads the engine.

I am also wondering the working condition of your rear engine mount (automatic tranny), since it has a vacuum line going to it. There a leak back there?

Yes I fallowed the DIY sticky all the way, also yesterday I opened the FITV and had to turn it clock wise probably 4 times to go all the way down.
          When the engine is running I have nothing else on, I am starting to think that it might be that vacuum line on the engine/tranny mount but how do you really check that one?

After Driving few miles, and then park the car the idle speed goes between 1,500 and 800 rpms back and forward quickly, after I hear the cooling fans come on, thermostat probably opens, the idle speed comes back to 800 and stays normal, untill I drive the car and then park again.

Also another interesting "phenomenon" is that the Cruise Control does not catch right away, usually it drops 5 miles and then brings the car back to speed, that's why I am suspecting a vacuum leak.

Comment

Working...
          X