Anyone used seafoam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used seafoam?

Is seafoam very useful or is it pointless?
    My Cb7. Slow work in progresshttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...80#post2247580

meh, it does its job.

its not a life saver or anything but i think its worth it...especially in the crankcase

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

I heard if you have never used it dont r something like that

Comment

Originally posted by 91@CCORD74 View Post
        I heard if you have never used it dont r something like that
        you heard wrong.

more than likely this is the same line of thought as:
        "don't put synthetic in an old engine" and
        "if you've never changed your tranny fluid, don't change it now"

These lines of thought are in error as they give the impression that the fluid is causing or exacerbating a problem. In both situations the component, (engine oil seals, tranny oil seals and passageways) are at fault and are the root of ANY problem and any problems are NOT the result of newer/cleaner fluid but of bad seals and gunk in the oil/fluid. These components will eventually fail on their own, newer fluid will NOT make them fail/slip sooner...if anything you will be prolonging their life by a very SMALL amount.

These lines of thought subscribe to the notion of "out of sight out of mind" if you don't see a leak, then not only does it not exist, but no other problems do either...and that is wrong.

The thought is also that the cleaner/newer fluid will clean out gunk that has accumulated...they think this "gunk" is creating a good seal and keeping the component working properly and that if you put new oil/fluid it then it will cause leaks/slips.

While it is true that synthetic oil/fluids will clean out this "gunk", the truth is that if you have seals that are shot, they are already leaking, if "gunk" has clogged them you more than likely have "gunk" in your oil passages as well...and that is causing more harm than a leak.

with the tranny and "gunk keeping it shifting right"...the tranny has almost no lubrication at this point, and is very dirty, which causes wear at increased rates.

Change your fluid...switch to synthetic. You will save money in the long run and your parts will be better protected.

Keeping gunk from building up is ALWAYS good and and allowing gunk to build up is ALWAYS bad. Seafoam will help to clean up. If you put it in your oil...do not rev your engine, idle up...do not rev. Then...change your oil! More to its purpose, run it through a vacuum line, use it to scrub the tb. Good to go
        ____

Comment

Seafoam does a great number on your motor and its compoents like stated above its good practice to change your fluids as regularly as possible you will be happy and your car will be too. I love running seafoam every six months or so cleans up real well too!!
          The CB7 Collector.
          Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
          92 LX Coupe F22A1
          2013 Toyota Corolla S
          92 EX Sedan F22A1
          Originally posted by deevergote
          Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

not to mention that it's really neat seeing the copious amounts of smoke come out of your muffler!!!
            96 mx-6, needs work...
            91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

I have never used seafoam, and the car has about 167k. 2nd Owner.
              Do I just poor it in, and accelerate?

I need to do more research on this...

:Back In Business...

Comment

What you do is suck it in through the brake booster hose and let it drink until it chokes down. Repeat again until the sea foam bottle is dry. Then get on the nearest road unpopulated by the po po and HAUL ASS!

Comment

I HAVE USED IT BEFORE AWHILE BACK AND THINKING ABOUT DOING IT AGAIN. MY CAR HAS 244,768 MILES ON IT AND WHEN I USED IT THE LAST TIME IT RESPONDED ALITTLE BETTER. I SAY USE IT

Comment

Originally posted by RyderzUnlimited View Post
                    I have never used seafoam, and the car has about 167k. 2nd Owner.
                    Do I just poor it in, and accelerate?

I need to do more research on this...
                    You put it in the booster line like Shag Wagon said but you'll have to do so VERY slowly or it will make your car stop running and you'll to keep cranking it and starting all over lol. Put like half to two thirds of the bottle in that line and pour the rest in your gas tank. Turn your car off and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Then go back out, start your car and either A) Keep reving it until it stops smoking, or B) Drive it around until it stops smoking. It still may smoke for the next couple of days here and there but you may not even notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                      you heard wrong.

more than likely this is the same line of thought as:
                      "don't put synthetic in an old engine" and
                      "if you've never changed your tranny fluid, don't change it now"

These lines of thought are in error as they give the impression that the fluid is causing or exacerbating a problem. In both situations the component, (engine oil seals, tranny oil seals and passageways) are at fault and are the root of ANY problem and any problems are NOT the result of newer/cleaner fluid but of bad seals and gunk in the oil/fluid. These components will eventually fail on their own, newer fluid will NOT make them fail/slip sooner...if anything you will be prolonging their life by a very SMALL amount.

These lines of thought subscribe to the notion of "out of sight out of mind" if you don't see a leak, then not only does it not exist, but no other problems do either...and that is wrong.

The thought is also that the cleaner/newer fluid will clean out gunk that has accumulated...they think this "gunk" is creating a good seal and keeping the component working properly and that if you put new oil/fluid it then it will cause leaks/slips.

While it is true that synthetic oil/fluids will clean out this "gunk", the truth is that if you have seals that are shot, they are already leaking, if "gunk" has clogged them you more than likely have "gunk" in your oil passages as well...and that is causing more harm than a leak.

with the tranny and "gunk keeping it shifting right"...the tranny has almost no lubrication at this point, and is very dirty, which causes wear at increased rates.

Change your fluid...switch to synthetic. You will save money in the long run and your parts will be better protected.

Keeping gunk from building up is ALWAYS good and and allowing gunk to build up is ALWAYS bad. Seafoam will help to clean up. If you put it in your oil...do not rev your engine, idle up...do not rev. Then...change your oil! More to its purpose, run it through a vacuum line, use it to scrub the tb. Good to go
                      Im still using regular oil. Should i seafom then switch to synthetic?
                      My Cb7. Slow work in progresshttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...80#post2247580

Comment

All I remember about Seafoam was being in the CRX, idling in a cloud of white smoke at an intersection opposite a police car.

I was soiling myself.

Comment

he was probably laughing at you LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                            All I remember about Seafoam was being in the CRX, idling in a cloud of white smoke at an intersection opposite a police car.

I was soiling myself.
                            Originally posted by pear_b View Post
                            he was probably laughing at you LOL
                            he deff wasnt laughing...not in cali
                            to achieve a Fuck, you must first give a Fuck
                            Follow me on twitter @tru_whitetrash

Comment

I used seafoam and almost a month later, I blew my motor and it was running fine before But Im happy I got a better motor out of the deal. BTW, I dont even drive my car hard since its my DD. I did use the brake booster hose though. Don't put it in the oil which I read before I did used seafoam and people above have said before. So its hit or miss dude, so its up to you
                              My CB For Sale

Comment

Working...
                              X