Is my clutch going out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my clutch going out?

For four years I've driven this car daily and I've put almost 100k miles on it since it's purchase.

Recently, while in gear (any gear) and moving along, if I push the gas down harder than normal the engine keeps revving gradually but the car doesn't go any faster. This ONLY happens when I step on the gas pretty hard and it seems to only happen 1.) When the car hasn't been driven for at least a full day or 2.) After the car has been driven on a long trip. When I push the gas down as usual (normal driving) it doesn't usually do it.

This never used to happen. When I would step on the gas the car would either go faster or, if I was in a higher gear and driving slow (e.g; 5th gear doing 30mph) it just wouldn't go any faster.. no slipping or engine revving while in gear and moving.

It feels to me like maybe the clutch is going out but I've never had to replace the clutch in any of my cars, so I really don't know how to diagnose it properly.

I can't think of any other way to describe this, so if you guys have got some ideas, I'm open to checking them out.

Bought From: MadSpleen85, jimy, CB7_ACCORD (kouzie), Chrisfrom1986
    Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
    Traded With: cb95spd, chessboxer, sohc em
    [ Completed | Pending ]

sounds like its starting to slip.

new clutch in your near future....

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
      sounds like its starting to slip.

new clutch in your near future....
      ****!

How hard is it to swap the clutch out?
      What other parts should I replace while I'm in there?
      Any specific clutch I should go with?
      Last edited by mak; 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM.

Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
      [ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Originally posted by mak View Post
        ****!

How hard is it to swap the clutch out?
        What other parts should I replace while I'm in there?
        Any specific clutch I should go with?
        it can be tricky if you havnt done it before.

since you have the trans out i would do the rear main seal whether its leaking or not just as a precautionary measure.
        get a clutch pack with all the necessary parts in it (plate, disc, release bearing, pilot bearing) and get your flywheel resurfaced/replaced.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

That really sounds like your clutch is slipping. I have an aftermarket Valeo clutch/pressure plate i bought from napa three years or so ago with no problems so far. Make sure your kit has a clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and alignment tool. Also resurfacing the flywheel is a must. If you plan on keeping the car a fifteen dollar rear main seal is definatly a must. If you dont replace it and it starts to leak you will have to take everything apart again to fix it. Though its not impossible to complete but if you have never attemped something like this before it will be very difficult. Get alldata instructions or some repair manual to walk you through it. You may want to leave it to the professionals on this one. If you mess one thing up you may have to take everything apart all over again.

My CB7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=phalpin

Comment

Originally posted by phalpin View Post
            That really sounds like your clutch is slipping. I have an aftermarket Valeo clutch/pressure plate i bought from napa three years or so ago with no problems so far. Make sure your kit has a clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and alignment tool. Also resurfacing the flywheel is a must. If you plan on keeping the car a fifteen dollar rear main seal is definatly a must. If you dont replace it and it starts to leak you will have to take everything apart again to fix it. Though its not impossible to complete but if you have never attemped something like this before it will be very difficult. Get alldata instructions or some repair manual to walk you through it. You may want to leave it to the professionals on this one. If you mess one thing up you may have to take everything apart all over again.
            The cost of the clutch kit through my supplier is $101 for Exedy OE replacement or $115 for MOOG. Which would you go with?

I won't pay anyone to fix my car, it's just not worth it to me. I'll replace the clutch and associated parts and do the flywheel, as well as the tranny seal, spark plugs and VC gasket (other parts I need to put in that I already have) but after that, she's hitting craigslist

I'm part of a large Italian family, we have many mechanics in the family so I'm sure it won't be a problem getting the work done.. I'm not going to tackle it on my own, don't worry.

Time for this big guy to get a big truck!

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Yup its clutch...At least mine act the same way.
              Get Exedy!!

And Mak while you at it replace you rear main seal too..

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by CB7_ACCORD View Post
                Yup its clutch...At least mine act the same way.
                Get Exedy!!

And Mak while you at it replace you rear main seal too..
                I wish my car's body was nice like your CB.. if it was, I'd be all over fixing it asap!

Sadly, I'm car-hunting right now.

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Exedy.

Comment

Originally posted by mak
                    I wish my car's body was nice like your CB.. if it was, I'd be all over fixing it asap!

Sadly, I'm car-hunting right now.

-mak
                    Come on, my is not that great
                    Fix it up and keep it as a beater

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

yeah get an Exedy Stage 1, it was 260 shipped for mine. If you ever plan on doing an H later on or whatever, its good for the extra power. considering you have 100k on it, thats pretty good life you got out of it.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by CB7_ACCORD View Post
                        Come on, my is not that great
                        Fix it up and keep it as a beater
                        Maybe, I don't know yet..

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                        yeah get an Exedy Stage 1, it was 260 shipped for mine. If you ever plan on doing an H later on or whatever, its good for the extra power. considering you have 100k on it, thats pretty good life you got out of it.
                        That's more than I want to put into the car at this point. I think I'll stick with OE replacement, or maybe OEM (if my supplier can get it cheap enough).

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Now that I finally got into the Chilton Online Library (posted the link in DIY for you guys, the old one is dead..) I read up on clutch replacement, and also found good information about clutch fluid.
                          I read that as the clutch wears, you can compensate for it (to a point) by topping off the clutch fluid and that it usually helps. I confirmed this through more searching through google, so I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow.

I just want to make sure that Chilton is correct in saying that our clutch system uses Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid.. is that correct?

Level Check & Fluid Recommendations

Use only DOT 3 or DOT 4 specification brake fluid from a tightly sealed container. If you are unsure of the condition of the fluid (whether or not it has been tightly sealed), use new fluid rather than taking a chance of introducing moisture into the system. It is critically important that the fluid meet the specification so the heat generated by modern disc brakes will not cause it to boil and reduce braking performance. Fluid must be moisture-free for the same reason.

Manual transaxles in 1990-95 Accords and 1988-95 Preludes use a hydraulic clutch actuation system. When the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor, fluid is compressed and the clutch is activated. Other vehicles use a cable-actuated clutch.

The clutch fluid reservoir is located in the same area as the brake master cylinder reservoir. The clutch reservoir may not be as easily seen as it is smaller and sometimes lower on the firewall. The system uses brake fluid and is checked or filled in the same fashion as the brake fluid reservoir. Always wipe off the cover of the reservoir before removing it. The clutch reservoir may require periodic topping off to compensate for clutch wear.
                          I'll check back in the morning before I check it and top if off

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Working...
                          X