Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ram intake sucking in a lot of air while idling(sp?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Ram intake sucking in a lot of air while idling(sp?)

well my car was idling low and rough so i adjusted my idle up...and every since then my short ram intake has been sucking in A LOT of air while just idling in park....by A LOT i mean you can hear it sucking in the air while your sitting in the car, its pretty loud or louder than normal...before i adjusted the idle you could not hear it at all until you hit the gas....any ideas what is wrong here? thanks

my friend has a short ram intake in his 91 ex. his idle was super low before and then i raised the idle. now his intake is super loud....sounds like water is on. im not sure what the problem is if there is one.

im not sure what the problem is, but he has some crud insde his throttle body that may solve the problem if we clean it...but im not sure at all. if i have time today im going to try it....but if not...then its a super loud intake =)
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Yeah im gonna try to clean my throttle body today..im sure it has some junk in there after 244,000 miles. but i dont see why me raising my idle was cause that... i just cleaned my IAC lastnight..it was covered in black crap.

Comment

im not sure if that will solve it, but please let me know what it does. everything is worth a shot...i have a DIY for the cleaning throttle body in the DIY forum if ur interested.

the reason why ur intake sounds louder is that mroe air is comming in i beleve when u turned the idle screw up....and since the filter is a open cone, u can hear it alot more....
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

There probably isn't anything wrong with your car, it is normal for aftermarket intake systems to be loud, and considering the fact that you turned your idle up, it will be louder. I don't know what your car idles at right now, but once the car is fully warmed up it should be around 700 rpms.

Comment

i put mine at 800 rpms...

hehe its kinda cool to have a loud intake...mine hummz.....but i have a stock intake with the resignators off...good enough for me =)

Retro!

Hater

Comment

My car when all warmed up and stuff it idles at 800 while in D4...and sometimes when i put it in park it likes to flucuate betwee 1,000 and 1,400...its been doing that since i raised my idle speed...but also sometime while in park it just stays at 950 or so....i actually didnt get to clean my throttle body yesterday i had some crap come up, so i didnt have time..im hoping today i will get to it....and another thing a lot of people in another forum said the reason it is loud is becuase my timing is off....and one last thing also when i turn my car off i always hear a psssshhhhhh sound like the intake is blowing out all the excess air..which also just happened after the idle adustment....hmmm i dont know. none of this really bothers me but if i can get it back quite i would like to

Comment

the sound when u turn off the car is normal...mine makes it with my stock intake, my friends makes it with a Short ram intake. i dont know what it is, i think its pressure release valve or something

Retro!

Hater

Comment

hmm that pssshhhh sound i was talking about also just started happening after i adjusted the idle, before i never heard anything....it doesnt bother me i just thought it was pressure releasing, like you said..i like to tell my girlfriend its my blow off valve from my turbo..haha

Comment

Working...
                  X