f tranny or h tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f tranny or h tranny

So im getting a h22 and im going to swap it in. My question is should i keep the f tranny or just get a h22 tranny. I heard that the f has longer gears which is what im looking for but im not so sure thats true.

Could someone steer me in the right direction.

thanks guys

there is a gazzilion threads bout this.

f22 - longer, u fall out of vtec when u shift. good for boost

h22- shorter, faster acceleration, higher high way cruising speeds

thats it in a nut shell
    Need CB7/H22/Turbo parts? i got them..check thread

Comment

Originally posted by LeosCB7h22 View Post

thats it in a nut shell

basicly.

now you can get an H23 tranny. gearing will help you stay in VTEC(i think) but the gears are long enough to where your not sitting at 4500rpms on the highway. lol.

Comment

It really depends on what you want. If you want better acceleration and are willing to have your RPMs at 4000 while cruising at 70MPH, then go with the H22 trans.

If you are willing to give up a little bit of acceleration, but want to cruise at 70MPH with the motor spinning at about 3000RPM and get a little better fuel ecomomy, the the F trans is for you.

It's all about trade offs...

I have an F trans on my H22, but I have the H22 final drive in it.
        Originally posted by Junior Smurff
        Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

get the H22 tranny, its meant to be with that motor

Comment

I got a H22 tranny (auto) with a f22 tcm and getting d4 light coming on once in a while. it shifts fine after you first turn it on but after a few min the trans then slugs after 2nd after with d4 light. I was told it could be the solenoids from some and from the place I got it from they say for me to just replce them with the ones from my old f22. they gave me the wrong tranny when i ordered a f22 tranny

Links to my rides :
            1992 Accord EX*
            1990 Accord EX
            1991 Accord SE (4th)
            1991 Accord SE (3rd)
            1991 Accord SE (2ND)
            1991 Accord SE

Comment

Originally posted by 4GAccordH22 View Post
              It really depends on what you want. If you want better acceleration and are willing to have your RPMs at 4000 while cruising at 80MPH, then go with the H22 trans.
              Fixed, lol.

Like sex, Do you like to keep it in 'vtec' or do you like to pop it in and out ?

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
              -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

thats it in a nut shell
                F22 transmission is not good for boost. Anything with long gears is not good for 1/4 mile racing, or auto x for that matter.

OP, get an H22 tranny.
                Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

H23 Ftw!!!!!
                  Members Ride sold...
                  I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

i was told something else, h23 falls out of vtec cause of the longer gears, h22 stays in vtec.
                    if i were you i would go for the h23 tranny though

Comment

I don't know what kind of H22 trans you have, but the M2S4 (US spec H22 trans), which is what I had in my car after the swap, revs at about 3900 at 70MPH and about 4500 at 80MPH. .812 5th gear ratio and 4.266 final drive. I checked it today to verify. My 4th gear is .812 and I have a 4.266 final drive in my modified F22 trans. 4th gear at 70MPH was 3900 on my tach and 80 was about 4400. Then I switched to 5th and at 80 it dropped to about 3500 +/-. At 70MPH, I cruise at about 3000, and at 50MPH in 5th it's at 2000.

Mine doesn't fall out of VTEC because my VTEC is set at 4700. If I rev to 8000 in 1st and shift to 2nd, it's still in VTEC, then 7400 in 2nd (about 70MPH) and 7400 in 3rd (about 110MPH), etc.

I speak from experience...

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

thats it in a nut shell

I thought longer = higher top speed and slower accel and shorter = faster accel and lower top speed.

Comment

You are correct sir. Longer gears = higher top speed, shorter gears = faster acceleration.

Longer gears will also give slightly better fuel economy sonce the motor isn't working as hard at cruising speeds. I got an increase of about 3MPG going from the M2S4 to the modified H2U5 (F22 trans with H22 final drive)

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Banner View Post
                            I thought longer = higher top speed and slower accel and shorter = faster accel and lower top speed.
                            Mm, curious.What would be the Top speed of an Accord tranny Vs the H tranny ?

Not that I will ever hit those numbers

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                            -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Originally posted by ibr_adam09 View Post
                              Not that I will ever hit those numbers
                              Exactly. No point in running a F22 transmission. I have yet to see anyone post any proof of there MPG going down after switching to a H22 tranny, and I've yet to see any proof that a F22 transmission is somehow better or faster in any way, shape, or form.

People need to stop posting these threads asking which tranny to buy.
                              Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                              Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                              Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                              Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                              Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                              Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X