Tach "off" suddenly. WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach "off" suddenly. WTF?

I've never had this problem until a few weeks ago. Previously, when the engine idled (around 700 rpm) it shows as such on the tach, and the vafc. Now (I haven't changed anything in a few months - rotor, dizzy cap, cps, coil, ignitor all new) at idle the needle is resting on the pin (at 0 rpm). It's off when accelerating, and cruising. Not always, but most of the time. I know the needles can stick sometimes, but it's not that.

I know I can 'check the voltage' but I would like to know more about what could be causing it. I've read a few threads dealing with tach problems, usually the jumpy issues caused by a bad ignitor, or other dizzy components.

Any info/help will be much appreciated!

diagnosing the tach is the same as diag'ing the VSS. Check voltage at dist, then at ecu, then at cluster. If you have no CEL's its probably somewhere between the ecu and tach.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
    member ride thread
    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
      I've never had this problem until a few weeks ago. Previously, when the engine idled (around 700 rpm) it shows as such on the tach, and the vafc. Now (I haven't changed anything in a few months - rotor, dizzy cap, cps, coil, ignitor all new) at idle the needle is resting on the pin (at 0 rpm). It's off when accelerating, and cruising. Not always, but most of the time. I know the needles can stick sometimes, but it's not that.

I know I can 'check the voltage' but I would like to know more about what could be causing it. I've read a few threads dealing with tach problems, usually the jumpy issues caused by a bad ignitor, or other dizzy components.

Any info/help will be much appreciated!

definitely check your dizzy your probably gonna need a replacement overtime. And as for the vafc recheck the wiring and make sure the connections are on point. solder them and heat shrink wrap it

Comment

Working...
      X