shaking steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shaking steering wheel

my steering wheel shakes when i brake at high speeds...does any one know what could be causing this?

how bad is the shake?

Comment

Your rotors need to be resurfaced. Or replaced...

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

does it do it at low speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by GenDBlade View Post
          does it do it at low speeds?
          My girls car needs her rotors replaced. It's not noticeable at low speeds.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

that must be it then need new rotors....oh and when i changed my brake pads i noticed that only the right side pads were wasted and the pads on the left tire were like new

Comment

Yes, it is definitely the rotors. They are more than likely warped. The uneven wearing indicates that the caliper sliding pins are either frozen or the pads are stuck where they sit on the bracket. Make sure that when you replace the rotor that you also lube the sliding pins and apply a little lube/grease to each end of the pads (where they sit on the bracket). Hope this was helpful.
              91-accord

watch quick clip: 10-80 mph

Comment

Helpful to me as I scrolled the forum and noticed a topic that hit home. My wagon has the same problem. Took off rotors and pads and saw no wear or even a scratch. Looked at all the suspension joins and they too looked fine: nothing loose or rubber cracks. So I too think it is "warped" rotors. I would like to buy the cross cut type but does it matter? Remember this is for a wagon and they require bigger rotors. Does it also mean wheel alignment? Like the the other member said, it only happens when breaking at freeway speeds.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

no alignment needed, its only brakes

visually you wont see any issues at all, but you may notice a few dark spots and usually warped rotors is just alot of material from the brake pad embedded on the rotors creating a uneven surface and a pulsation when you brake.

most can be resurfaced but they will measure it to see if its within a spec, if not then you have to purchase new rotors.

I don tknow what you mean by cross cut, there are standard rotors then slotted then drilled rotors.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

If you replace the rotors, you are taking enough apart that I would suggest an alignment. Chances are, you're in need of one anyway.

Warped rotors will certainly cause vibrations when braking. Blown shocks and worn suspension components can also cause vibrations.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      If you replace the rotors, you are taking enough apart that I would suggest an alignment. Chances are, you're in need of one anyway.

Warped rotors will certainly cause vibrations when braking. Blown shocks and worn suspension components can also cause vibrations.
                      what are you taking apart that can alter the alignment?
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                      X