Wheel balance weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel balance weights

When you upgrade your wheels from stock to something a little nicer, what are the options for balancing?

Is there a better, more attractive alternative than the ugly clamp-on weights that tire shops install - the ones that cause your rims to get scatched and oxidize within seconds?

You can have them put on the inside lip of the wheel, or on the barrel of the wheel.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

sticky weights
      wat?

Comment

at discount tire, we use tape weights that go inside the wheel. You can even use them on stock wheels, it just won't give you as good a balance. The key is to balance the tire on the inside and outside of the wheel, throughout the width of the wheel to get the best balance. Sometimes this isn't possible b/c the lip of the wheel is too far inset so you can only "statically" balance the tire. The best balance is a dynamic balance.

But most aftermarket wheels use a clip on the inside and a tape towards the outer part of the wheel since they've got nothing to clip the weights onto the outside. Or you can go tape/tape or just single tape down the middle. On my wheels for instance, I've got a clip weight on the inside and a tape towards the outside. This gives me a dynamic balance.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I've seen guys with nice chromed rims with hammered on wheel weights on the outer ring... fucks 'em up

make sure you check the shop out first...you don't want that happening
          ____

Comment

Working...
          X