Oil Pressure Gauge Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure Gauge Install

When installing an electric oil pressure gauge... can u tap into the stock oil pressure sending unit wiring or do u have to use the sending unit they give u?

Sending unit they gave you....

Comment

ok another question. Is installing the sender using an oil filter adapter a good way to measure pressure or tapping into the block like using a tee-fitting better? i dunno if its my sender, my gauge, or just the location it is in giving me an inaccurate reading. at idle it reads 90 psi when cold and after warm up it reads 25-30 psi... i kno im suppose to be reading 10 or so at idle. then when i rev it up to about 2-2.5 rpms it reads 95 psi... which at 3 suppose to read like 50. anyway help me out guys. tanx

Comment

http://theoldone.com/articles/oilpressure/

im not sure what you were saying about mounting it... but your gonna want to do it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685

im not sure what you were saying about mounting it... but your gonna want to do it like that.
          That's just one way to do it. I ended up using a dual sender (one tap for the guage, one for the dummy light) and threading into the stock location on the block. Works great. I used VDO for all the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685

well i have an adapter that goes b/w the engine block and the oil filter. I plugged the sensor into that adapter. my friend says his car reads the same thing and an engine flush will probably do the trick. dont kno how his set up is tho. he keeps his car under a shroud of mystery. anyway yea i was thinking the sensor is crappy or since i have a gauge made by megan then the gauge might be crappy. i was thinking about getting the radiant glow OBX oil pressure which is mechanical. OBX isnt quite up there like autometer but it looks nice. just wondering if it is worth it. also wondering how to fix my current readings.

Comment

Originally posted by SenseiAccord
              ok another question. Is installing the sender using an oil filter adapter a good way to measure pressure or tapping into the block like using a tee-fitting better? i dunno if its my sender, my gauge, or just the location it is in giving me an inaccurate reading. at idle it reads 90 psi when cold and after warm up it reads 25-30 psi... i kno im suppose to be reading 10 or so at idle. then when i rev it up to about 2-2.5 rpms it reads 95 psi... which at 3 suppose to read like 50. anyway help me out guys. tanx
              the reason OP is so high @ start up is because of the bypass valve. 90 psi until warm up is normal, for that location. thats telling how much presure is on the bypass valve. the best way to go ,imo, is to use a tee fitting between the block and oe sender. that way you get the correct oil pressure of the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9h23
                the reason OP is so high @ start up is because of the bypass valve. 90 psi until warm up is normal, for that location. thats telling how much presure is on the bypass valve. the best way to go ,imo, is to use a tee fitting between the block and oe sender. that way you get the correct oil pressure of the motor.
                right ons. ok so the tee-fitting... can i find this stuff at a local auto parts store or do i gotta go somwhere else? or could u just not use a tee-fitting and remove the stock sensor and monitor it manually? the only reason is that if i do that then i dont kno if the sensor is even accurate. otherwise im just gonna get a mechanical one (since i have electric) so it will be better. anyway give me ur guys 2cents

Comment

I'd rather have an electric gauge then a mechanical one.

Comment

Working...
                  X