Rear Motor Mount Solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Motor Mount Solenoid

Alright so ive changed everyone of my motor mounts(Automatic) when I go from park(Which is hard to get out of btw) into reverse my whole car jumps(You can see the engine jump too). When I go from Reverse to drive it does the same thing.

Ive come to the conclusion(Unless someone has a better idea) that my solenoid is not kicking on. And not working to help the rear motor mount.

How do I go about testing this to make sure it's working or not?

No one knows anything about this solenoid? The name of it or anything?

Comment

???

A solenoid is a linearly acting electric motor (i.e. instead of the engine's shaft motion being rotational the shaft's motion is a short throw motion in a straight line), typically used to make a relatively high load electrical contact and / or to cause a component (typically a gear) to move into contact / mesh with another component.

A good example is the solenoid that actuates both the gear engagement and electrical contact required to operate a starter motor (the gears in question being the starter pinion gear and flywheel ring gear). Another very common e.g. is a solenoid used to create a high load electrical contact, the solenoid being actuated from a remote switch operating with a light electrical load through quite thin guage wiring (EDIT; these remotely controlled electric swithes are more typically called 'relays', but my understanding is that they work in a similar manner to 'solenoids', and can be considered to be a kind of solenoid). The electrical switches inside the cabin that turn on / off high load auxilliaries (such as lights etc) use thin / light load wires to operate remote solenoids in the engine bay that make high load contact when actuated, thus avoiding the need to run bundles of large diameter wires into and out of the passenger compartment, and allowing the cabin switch to be a light duty / light action switch (all cars have a lot of these solenoids). Fuel injectors are also a form of a more sophisticated solenoid, as is the IACV.

There is no solenoid associated with any of the engine mounts, as these are mechanical and not electrical in nature...

If the engine is jumping around then you may still have a worn / damaged mount somewhere (rear mount or the bushes in the front mounted 'torque brace' being the most likely), or, keep in mind that some significant degree of engine motion is normal with stock mounts.
      Last edited by johnl; 09-17-2009, 02:45 AM.
      Regards from Oz,
      John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
        ???

A solenoid is a linearly acting electric motor (i.e. instead of the engine's shaft motion being rotational the shaft's motion is a short throw motion in a straight line), typically used to make a relatively high load electrical contact and / or to cause a component (typically a gear) to move into contact / mesh with another component.

A good example is the solenoid that actuates both the gear engagement and electrical contact required to operate a starter motor (the gears in question being the starter pinion gear and flywheel ring gear). Another very common e.g. is a solenoid used to create a high load electrical contact, the solenoid being actuated from a remote switch operating with a light electrical load through quite thin guage wiring (EDIT; these remotely controlled electric swithes are more typically called 'relays', but my understanding is that they work in a similar manner to 'solenoids', and can be considered to be a kind of solenoid). The electrical switches inside the cabin that turn on / off high load auxilliaries (such as lights etc) use thin / light load wires to operate remote solenoids in the engine bay that make high load contact when actuated, thus avoiding the need to run bundles of large diameter wires into and out of the passenger compartment, and allowing the cabin switch to be a light duty / light action switch (all cars have a lot of these solenoids). Fuel injectors are also a form of a more sophisticated solenoid, as is the IACV.

There is no solenoid associated with any of the engine mounts, as these are mechanical and not electrical in nature...

If the engine is jumping around then you may still have a worn / damaged mount somewhere (rear mount or the bushes in the front mounted 'torque brace' being the most likely), or, keep in mind that some significant degree of engine motion is normal with stock mounts.
        Alright then what do you call the thing that hooks up to the rear motor mount to increase pressure in the rear motor mount in park. Is it a valve? There most def is something that hooks up to the rear motor mount to control the pressure(Stiffen it up or make it softer).

Only the automatics have this "Thing" because manuals dont have a park gear.

Comment

Originally posted by lonski
          I just called a local parts store and the rear mount and solenoid are an assembly, meaning you can't buy either the rear mount or the solenoid valve separately.
          Okay maybe im saying this wrong lol.

I bought the mount from advance auto parts like 25 bucks or something.

There is ahose that goes from the mount up to the firewall onto this electric piece.

At the electric piece it goes back through the firewall into something.

So to recap. The electric piece, Goes to the motor mount and intake manifold.

This is the piece I BELIEVE is not working correctly because my car vibrates in reverse.

LIttle to no vibration in park. But also jumps when changing gears(Reverse to drive).

So what is that electric piece called? Would it be a solenoid or a valve? Has to have a name.

Comment

are you talking about this thing?
            Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
            Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
            Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
            Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
            Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
            Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Reignstarz View Post
              Only the automatics have this "Thing" because manuals dont have a park gear.
              OK, my manual car has nothing that looks like the 'thing' in the above pic (just the rubber / steel mount). I can't see why it should have anything to with having a transmission lock (i.e. 'park gear') or not, but car manufacturers do strange things sometimes. Seems rather unecessarily complicated to me.

At any rate, it looks to have a what I would guess to be is a vacuum line attached to it, so it may be a linear 'vacuum motor' (it certainly looks like one). What happens at the other end of the 'thing' that can't be seen in the photo, i.e. what comes out of it, what exactly is it attached to?
              Regards from Oz,
              John.

Comment

???

[img=http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8415/enginemountsolenoid.th.png]

Thanks for the long post on solenoids.

But it is a solenoid.

That is the thing I Am talking about it controls vibration while in gear.

Lonski check this out this has everything about it.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/10...576/MOUNTS.pdf

Anyone know anything about this now?

Comment

Yeh, its a vacuum actuated solenoid I believe that allows air to come into the mount which I also believe is filled with some kind of liquid as well, in order to dampen vibrations to and frow. Try unplugging the vac hose while the car is on and see if the valve moves. Other than that I wouldnt know how to test it.
                  FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
                  Pm meX
                  I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
                  H22A Swap
                  I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Originally posted by CBAccordA4 View Post
                    Yeh, its a vacuum actuated solenoid I believe that allows air to come into the mount which I also believe is filled with some kind of liquid as well, in order to dampen vibrations to and frow. Try unplugging the vac hose while the car is on and see if the valve moves. Other than that I wouldnt know how to test it.
                    Thanks man ill try it out.

Anyone else ever fixed this?

Comment

honestly since it happens in reverse, I'd say it was the front torque mount.

Comment

A/T Rear Mount Testing

To test the mount, use a hand vaccum pump to pull vaccum on the diaphram, the actuator should close and have smooth action.

To test the solenoid, measure the hot wire on the connector (disconnected). There should be 12V with the car on. Then jump the hot wire to the solenoid and then ground the second pin from the solenoid to chassis. You should now have vaccum on the diaphram if the solenoid is functioning.

IF the solenoid is fine, check for vaccum on the connection to the intake manifold; i.e. leaks or blockages.

To test the Transmission Control Module (TCM), throttle the car in Nuetral. The actuator should move as you pass 3000 RPMs. If not, check the connection between the ground wire and the TCM.

If the solenoid, mount, and wiring pass the above tests and you have good vaccum from the intake manifold; then your issue may be with the TCM. Due to the cost of fixing or replacing the TCM, I would suggest you repeat the tests to be sure you have not missed anything.
                        Last edited by James Matteu; 09-19-2009, 12:37 AM.
                        1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
                        C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
                        MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
                        ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
                        You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

At any rate, it looks to have a what I would guess to be is a vacuum line attached to it, so it may be a linear 'vacuum motor' (it certainly looks like one). What happens at the other end of the 'thing' that can't be seen in the photo, i.e. what comes out of it, what exactly is it attached to?
                          It is attached to a solenoid. You should check your sources before citing bad information.
                          1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
                          C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
                          MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
                          ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
                          You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

Yep I had that same one on my 90 accord ex auto. Manual cars have a hydraulically filled rear mount. What you can do to get rid of it is get a DX rear motor mount. They have no vacuum assist and its a solid piece of rubber. It is also cheaper. Just a cheap tip.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by James Matteu View Post
                              It is attached to a solenoid.
                              Must be a solenoid that operates a valve that allows / dissallows vaccum to the mount...? Is the idea to cause the mount to momentarily become even softer as the trans transitions from P or N to R or D (or between D and R etc)?

Originally posted by James Matteu View Post
                              You should check your sources before citing bad information.
                              My apologies, won't be the first time I've made a mistake...

My CB7 is manual and has no such gizmo, nor have I seen one before (I have little to do with automatic cars). It does seem a rather excessive device...
                              Regards from Oz,
                              John.

Comment

Working...
                              X