Dead battery questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead battery questions...

I'm having a weird problem with my electrical system, here's a rundown of what's going on.

I left work one day last week, car started up just fine. I drove about 3 miles to my friend's shop to do a final test fit with my bb6 dash dash project and turned my car off when I got there. I test fit the dash, pulled it back out, and went to start my car so I could move it over. When I turned the key the dash lights came on like normal, I let the fuel pump cycle, then pushed my start button and only got rapid clicking noises and the dash lights dimmed down. I put a jump pack on the battery and still nothing. Since I was parked uphill, I let the car roll down backwards and pop started it. I moved it over, let it idle for about 25 mins, then drove 20 minutes home. When I shut the car off, it wouldn't start again. I swapped my starter out with a spare one from my bb6 parts car thinking it was a bad solenoid. Battery reads 12.3v but still won't crank, and with the bb6 starter in there I don't get any more rapid clicking. After trying to start it a few times the battery reads 9.8v. I disconnected the start button, re-connected the starter wire from the key, and still wouldn't crank. I put my jump pack on and it started fine. I re- connected the start button and again, with the jump pack on, it started fine. While it's running, my battery is reading between 13.5-14v.

Alternator is stock with an underdrive pulley, battery is an Optima yellow top. Can a gel cell battery crap out that quickly? It showed no signs or symptoms of failing prior to this. I was also thinking this could be a ground problem, but every ground I can find in the areas I've been working on are tight.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

ground problem, man

make sure the ground from your battery to the case is clean
    also need to have more than 2 grounds on the engine bay-motor
    and you should be alright

i had the same exact problem yesterday

i was freaking out thinking that i fucked up on the fuse box tucking
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

My battery is in the trunk, has been for a few years now. I have a 0 gauge ground wire that's grounded by the battery and a 2ga power wire running up front to a distribution block in the passenger foot well. From there it splits from the 2ga to two 4ga power wires. One goes to the fuse box which is re-located into the car above the ecu, the other goes to the starter. The engine is grounded on both sides, a 4ga ground from the frame rail to the tranny, and a smaller ground wire from the valve cover to the driver strut tower.

I'm suprised my voltage is not at 14.4v while the car is running. Could this be because of the underdrive pulley? I've never had electrical issues with my car before so I never had any reason to check it. Not sure if 13.5-14v is normal for an underdrive pulley at idle. I've got my jump pack charging for now just in case.

Comment

my in-laws suburban has a dead battery (regluar ol battery...but it's shot) and it also has bad grounds and it was doing the same thing. When I hooked my charger up to it, it would light up then click click click...the battery will not charge nor hold a charge. The only way to get it to crank is to jump it AND hook up a battery charger...course the yota minivan and my accord prolly don't put out much amps to crank that big ol beast over.

few questions.

How old is the optima battery? could be a bad battery...

You said you didn't get the click click from the prelude starter? could be a bad starter...

What all did you do differently after installing the prelude starter vs the initial start attempt? could be different variables with different starters...

Have you tried a different battery?

But overall...sounds like a combo event...grounding and battery. If the grounds aren't getting to the battery (ie starter grounds) then no go, if the connectors for the battery ground aren't making good contact...no go...etc etc.
        ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
          How old is the optima battery? could be a bad battery...

You said you didn't get the click click from the prelude starter? could be a bad starter...

What all did you do differently after installing the prelude starter vs the initial start attempt? could be different variables with different starters...

Have you tried a different battery?

But overall...sounds like a combo event...grounding and battery. If the grounds aren't getting to the battery (ie starter grounds) then no go, if the connectors for the battery ground aren't making good contact...no go...etc etc.

Battery is probly 5 yrs old or so.

I have an H22a, took the original starter off and put the BB6 starter on. It works, just have to use my jumper pack.

I don't have another battery to try.

I may have to take my battery and have it tested.

Anybody else with an underdrive pulley? Can you test your votage at idle and tell me what your reading is?

Comment

I dropped the battery off at batteries plus today. They said they had to charge it for 4-6 hours in order to tell if it was truely bad or not. He said the voltage was a little low, and the amps were even lower. We'll see...

Comment

The battery failed a load test, so I guess the problem is solved. Just waiting for my replacement to come in. I'll update next week.

I'm just suprised that it crapped out on a 5-10 minute drive.

Comment

Replacement battery came in today! I brought it home, hooked it up, and the car started better than it ever did! So, as long as I don't have some parasitic load other than my alarm system I think everything is fixed.

Comment

Working...
                X