Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering squeals of pain

OK so I refilled my P/S system after determining there were no leaks

I turned the wheel left to right, and it works kind of. But the assist is choppy and it makes sounds like a sad puppy when I turn the wheel.

Is this a bad belt situation or a bad pump? I had the pump connected w/no fluid in the system for a while and I'm thinkin that's what killed it.... which is no biggie as I can easily get another pump no problem.

????

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

More info

Are you confused at finding no leaks, or are you unsure whether a leak exists or not?

What exactly is making a sad puppy sound, the pump or the rack?

A bad belt would make squeeking noise, loud squeeking noise. Did you hear this?

How did you determine that your pump is "killed"? And did you bleed the Power Steering Hydraulics?

Did you run the Power Steering Pump with no fluid, or did you take off the belt while the system was dry?
    1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
    C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
    MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
    ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
    You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

Originally posted by James Matteu View Post
      Are you confused at finding no leaks, or are you unsure whether a leak exists or not?There was a leak before, but I tightened all the hoses and it hasn't leaked since.

What exactly is making a sad puppy sound, the pump or the rack? The pump I think

A bad belt would make squeeking noise, loud squeeking noise. Did you hear this?No it doesn't sound like a bad belt honestly. It's more of a groan than a squeal.

How did you determine that your pump is "killed"? And did you bleed the Power Steering Hydraulics?I don't know if my pump is killed. And IDK how to bleed it, but I took the reservoir cap and turned the wheel back and forth a few times. The level in the reservoir is about at the top.

Did you run the Power Steering Pump with no fluid, or did you take off the belt while the system was dry?I ran the pump with no fluid
      Response in bold

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Your pump is dead. Running it with no fluid is almost instant, guaranteed death.
        Originally posted by sweet91accord
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
          Your pump is dead. Running it with no fluid is almost instant, guaranteed death.
          Yea sounds like bad bearings in it. Oh well... hopefully I can replace it w/o draining the system. Should have it all together this weekend.

Comment

Working...
          X