replacing my head. some general questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing my head. some general questions

ok I blew my headgasket and fucked my head up. I just bought a head off my buddy that was rebuilt last month but never installed. Im needing to know the tightening pattern for the head bolts and what torque they have to be at. Ive searched and found nothing.any help? any tips?

I start putting it on tommorrow so im kinda in a hurry.

please and thanks

does anyone know?

Comment

the repair manual for CB7s that they sell in autozone has the specs. but its in 3 steps. at 3 different torque ratings. so make sure to get that manual. its $20

btw make sure the new cylinder head really is straight with a metal ruler.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
      01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
      93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
      93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

fuck man, i just start from the center bolts and make my way out.

i do all my heads that way.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

IIRC it goes something like this
          8-6-2-4-10
          9-3-1-5-7

and the 3 steps are;
          1st step = 39 lbs-ft
          2nd step = 51 lbs-ft
          3rd & final step = 73 lbs-ft

Most heads & intake manifolds you will work on are usually tq'd starting from the inside out. Moving in a criss/cross pattern. This keeps the gasket from buckling.
          Last edited by GhostAccord; 08-02-2009, 12:32 AM.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

thanks ghost...

Comment

another stupid question. how do u get the 4 bottom bolts off the intake manifold?what tools did you use?

Comment

12mm socket with a long extension or just use a 12mm wrench its cramped
                You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
                Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

we cant get a ratchet on it.we got the top 5 bolts off but there is 4 on the bottom we cant get to

Comment

i just used a wrench and put the closed end on and went to town on it
                    You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
                    Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Wrench worked for me, getting the IM nuts back on is a pain as well.

Check this link for more reference.

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...l/400/5-42.pdf
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

take the head off with the intake manifold. its going to be a heavy btch. i almost got a hernia.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                        X