Radiator fan problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiator fan problem

Ok i searched but couldn't find answers to my questions. I've recently noticed my coolant resevior bubbling and such when the car is idling for awhile and when its off. I figured it was the heat from the turbo setup but i sat next to the car after i turned it off yesterday and noticed the fans never came on. I remembered seeing insulation melted off a wire that went to the radiator due to the open wastegate. But forgot about it (whoops )

I searched and found out that i should test the wires going to the radiator. So i tapped the wires on the a/c fan i guess u would call it. Grounded the black wire and ran a line from the blue wire to the ignition wire. Turned the car over and sure enough the a/c fan came on but not the other fan. I could easily hook them both up to the same switch(when i put i on a switch) but i'd like it to act normal again and turn on without any outside aid. I'm not sure what to check next. Could it be the fan relay? Can someone direct me to where that is? I also tried turning on the a/c to make the fans come on but that didn't work. The car overheated like a month ago but that was the only time. Temp gauge always reads normal
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Did the temp guage read normal when your motor overheated? If so, you could have a bad sensor.

If you fried the wire to your radiator motor, that could be your problem.
    Bart: What's your name?
    Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

check this:

Comment

Crap
        Attached Files

Comment

thanx for teh diagram i'll check it in a minute (kinda full right now). The temp gauge went all the way up and almost into the red section when it over heated

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

dude. just turn the ac on. if both fans work then u ok.
            if they don't check the fuses and the relays. then do the battery test with the fans.

if everything is ok and u getting bubles etc. that means that u got air in the system. it might be a bad radiator car or u have a hole in the cooling system. u got to do the preasure test. get that tool from autozone and do it.

there are a couple of hozez that would leak only when u turn the heater on. i found a bad leak on mine on ths hard hoze that goes on the bottom of the thermostat housing. the seal on that went bad. it leaks only when i turn the heat on. when i put the cold ac on the leak will stop. lol
            are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
              dude. just turn the ac on. if both fans work then u ok.
              if they don't check the fuses and the relays. then do the battery test with the fans.
              turning the a/c on didn't do anything both fans did nothing as stated previously. I got one fan to come on but not both yet. And i didn't know where the relays were either.

I just remembered i already have a "switch" in my car. The power inverter!!! So i'm gonna use that for the moment if i have to go out tonight. I'll check over the relay and fuses

Comment

the fan on the drivers side the relay is haning on the right side of it. u got to move some wires to see it.
                are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

check wiring on the radiator fan thermoswitch which is located on where the lower radiator hoses connects to the engine @ the thermostat housing. also check the wiring to the radiator fan.

could you have accidentally ruined this wiring in doing the turbo swap? maybe a wire is getting pinched or got cut or something
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

update...i'm stalling for time right now and hooked up both fans to the cig lighter posi wire and a push switch. So both fans work now at the push of a button. I'm so busy this week i barely have time to fix this

Comment

aight, how did you wire the push button? did you use the existing radiator fan wiring? if so, that's a good indication that the wiring is not an issue and that what triggers the radiator fan to kick on is the problem, so it may indeed be the radiator fan thermoswitch or if there is a fuse the blew out for this circuit.
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

ok i tapped the positive (blue wire) on both the fans. Ran that line to the cabin, the switch and then wired the switch to the positive wire on the cig lighter. Its gotta be the relay. I checked the one in the fuse box by switching the coolant relay with the power window relay right next to it. Didn't fix it and the power windows still worked. I think i see the relay but i'll take a pic to find out for sure.

Comment

Working...
                        X