Battery Kept Dieing need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Kept Dieing need advice

Today my battery died a few times. I noticed that the positive terminal was loose so i replaced that. I took the battery to advance where i bought it and they told me i needed a new one so i got a new battery. I had the alternator replaced about 1-2 years ago. Im affraid the new battery will just die again. Where can i get the alternator tested? Also my battery light never came on.
    R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
    My members ride page
    Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

you can get it tested at any autoparts store. auto zone and o'riley's usually do it (and for free)

Comment

man ur batery probably wouldn't hold any juice. which means its all fucked up and u needed a new battery. u could not tell from outside. trust me i have seen this before. the battery looked brand new but it wouldn't hold any power. it only kept it for 30 min or less then it didn't have any power to start the car.
      are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Re: Battery Kept Dieing need advice

Originally posted by dj justice
        Where can i get the alternator tested?
        Like previous posts most places will do it for free, but you have to bring in the alternator. They won't check it in the car for free (none I know of).

Comment

Ok i think it was just the battery/terminals. The battery was only 3 months old so i was like WTF!? I got another one for free becuase my battery had a 2 year warrenty. I tested the alternator and its puttin out 13.5 volts approximately.
          R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
          My members ride page

Comment

to check the altenator just start the car and disconect the battery. if it turns off then altenator. lol. that is the step u do when u have a light. but since u don't then it got to be one of the terminal thingis.

Comment

hey man my battery has died twice today as well....but my battery light is on when it happens.....i didnt even think it could be my battery cause its onlye 11 months old...but you said yours was like 3 months old and it messed up....so i wonder if i could just change batteries..i dont want to buy a new alternator

Comment

if ur batery light comes on then its ur altenator.
                do as follow.
                start ur car. and disconect the battery. if the car is still on then its not ur altenator. but if the car dies then its ur altenator.

Comment

I highly suspect one of your accessories/lights is remaining on when the car is off. To test, turn off all electrical accessories and connect an ammeter in series with one of the battery cables. If it shows a large draw (~2 amps) something is draining your battery. Pull fuses until you see the current drain stop. That will help you narrow the problem down to what's draining your power.

Also obviously make sure your battery is clean and the battery holder is clean also. It would have to be pretty dirty to drain your battery like that, but it could happen I guess.

Comment

hey guys, i just got back from o'reillys the let me exchange my old battery for a brand new one and guess what.........my battery light still stays on all the time, so it wasnt my battery. i checked all my grounds, there are only three grounds right?...the one by the passenger fender, down by the tranny, and one on the drivers side thats on the valve cover, is that right?
                    hey alb_accord do i totally disconnect the battery?both neg and pos? ive heard just disconnect pos when the car is started.....i really hope its not my alternator, its gonna be a bitch to get out, it looks like with that damn compressor in the way...ive definetley got to run a voltmeter to check and see what my alternator is putting out.....the only other thing i could thing it would be is that maybe i set my CD player up wrong yesterday and a wire is always on, therefore draining the battery.....but im pretty sure thats not the prob....my dad is gonna check it out tommorow when i see him for thanksgiving...are there any wires that directly go to the alternator that i can check to see if they are connected right? thanks a lot again

Comment

disconect both of them.
                      and the altenator is not hard to change. just got to remove the power steering pomp.

Comment

alright i will do that later today, do you have any idea whats going on here though alb?

Comment

Ok my new battery died. My alternator is charging. What else can i check?
                          R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
                          My members ride page

Comment

hey alb, this morning i undone the positive cable and it immediatley died, i didnt even have time to unhook the negative before the engine died...

Comment

91 lx that is a bad altenator there man. sorry.

dj are u runny any type of amp on ur car?

Comment

Working...
                              X