jumpy speedo.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jumpy speedo.......

i search around an its all pointing to the vss which is on the way, but i replaced it not that long ago. my car has been sitting for almost a week (could that cause anything to make my speedo jump up an down ??) im also getting a blinking s light/ which turn out to be the kick down switch ???? wtf is that ???? anyone
    UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
    NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

i took the vss off to inspect it an there seems to be nothing wrong with it is there anything else that could cause the speedo to fail ???? cause at idle it just from zero up an down, then while im in motion the speedo wont work then it will, its on an off I NEED HELP
    UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

sounds like your speedo cable, they can wiggle loose and cause that and to check it you'd have to pull the cluster

guess a speedo could fail too and do this but sounds mechanical
      ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

I don't think our speedometers have a cable, hence the speed sensor. It's all electrical.

Did you replace the gear mechanism or just the electrical part at the top?

Comment

Its just an electrical sensor..but could be as easy as the gauge starting to crap out to just a wiring issue. Im gonna say probably the gauge is crapping out. Speedo sensors dont bounce around often on these cars usually thats the tach and thats an easy issue to fix. Usually if VSS is dead or on its way out it will sit at 0 or miraculously work fine for a while then go back to 0 again.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
            Its just an electrical sensor..but could be as easy as the gauge starting to crap out to just a wiring issue. Im gonna say probably the gauge is crapping out. Speedo sensors dont bounce around often on these cars usually thats the tach and thats an easy issue to fix. Usually if VSS is dead or on its way out it will sit at 0 or miraculously work fine for a while then go back to 0 again.
            sometimes it work, sometimes it doesnt. the past few times i drove it sat on zero, then it might jump up to the speed im realling going.
            UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
              I don't think our speedometers have a cable, hence the speed sensor. It's all electrical.

i just replaced the top.... do you think it could be the gear ???? how do i replace that
              UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

There's really nothing to inspect on the VSS. I've opened up dead ones and new ones and they all look the same. Is the vss you put in recently brand new or an used one from the junkyard?? I've have used vss's crap out after 5k so anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by YK86 View Post
                  There's really nothing to inspect on the VSS. I've opened up dead ones and new ones and they all look the same. Is the vss you put in recently brand new or an used one from the junkyard?? I've have used vss's crap out after 5k so anything is possible.
                  it's one i bought of ebay, maybe a yr ago
                  UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post

bundle of wires with teh plug on it is what i meant, cable is just a generic term that applies to any bundle of wires, insulated wire, etc

sometimes simply cleaning that will help, but the one time mine was bouncing around a lot, slapping the shit out of the top of it fixed it until it went out about a year later

stuff gets old, just how it goes with 15+ year old cars

Comment

but this might fix it:

1) slap the shit out of the top of your dash just above your cluster

2) slap it again; use profanity

3) PROFIT

seriously, just knocking the hell out of it may fix it, when this stuff gets old it stop having connections here and there, shorts there, etc

blowing any fuses or done any other wiring?

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth View Post
                        but this might fix it:

1) slap the shit out of the top of your dash just above your cluster

2) slap it again; use profanity

3) PROFIT

seriously, just knocking the hell out of it may fix it, when this stuff gets old it stop having connections here and there, shorts there, etc

blowing any fuses or done any other wiring?

lol i replaced the cluster at the start of the yr, but i have done any wiring or anything like that. all the fuses check out fine, everything else one the cluster works
                        UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

Originally posted by 1990Ex View Post
                          lol i replaced the cluster at the start of the yr, but i have done any wiring or anything like that. all the fuses check out fine, everything else one the cluster works
                          i'd get a different cluster before i'd replace just the speedo

not everyone can get the needle back on and calibrated just right after swapping just a speedo and really, it's less work to swap the whole cluster

really, i'd just slap the shit out of it a few times and hope it works

you could get it to where you could wiggle the plugs while it's in drive on a rack or something could trouble shoot whether it's the plug/wires, the speedo or the vss, although the vss usually gives you a code and you've replaced it

clusters were going for $10-25 + shipping on here a while back, you could pick one up and see if that helps and if it doesn't, only out that much.

working intermittently is usually NOT the vss though. just old electronics i bet

my tach stopped working a few weeks ago, beat the hell out of the dash and no problem since

Comment

guess ill beat the shit out of it lol. the damn blinking s light/cel is pissing me off, didnt have these problems a week ago
                            UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

Originally posted by 1990Ex View Post
                              guess ill beat the shit out of it lol. the damn blinking s light/cel is pissing me off, didnt have these problems a week ago
                              pull the code it's trying to give you then

blinking s light is your tranny computer code

blinking cel is your engine computer code

there are how-to's on how to check both on this site

Comment

Working...
                              X