Mild/Not so mild Build with stock exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wrichards2005 View Post
    Wow that looks like a good idea. I'm thinking about just doing a bigger exhaust with a stock style resonator and muffler. And a high flow cat.
    Don't get a magnaflow cat. They suck for noise. I have heard CATCO tones them down well, and Random Tech always sounds good, but they are more $$.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Random Tech cats flow more than most aftermarket mufflers.

Get a RSX-S or 06 Si muffler, they flow the best as far as OEM Honda mufflers are concerned.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
        I can tell you that using 1-2 resonators with 2.5" or 3" piping and straight-through muffler is not quiet. I think the key is getting an actual OEM-like muffler for any exhaust to be quiet. Resonators do help keep a low/deep sound and minimize raspiness. What also helps eliminate raspiness and fuel smell at stop or idle is a cat. converter, rather than test pipe.

The larger the diameter exhaust the louder. I would keep it at 2.5" for your goals for a compromise, cat. converter, atleast one resonator and OEM-like muffler.
        that's exactly what I said...oem style muffler...ALONG WITH the two resonators...never said straight through muffler
        ____

Comment

a turbo is its own muffler FTW

Comment

Originally posted by scudweiser View Post
            a turbo is its own muffler FTW
            this is quite true, the spooling of the turbo eliminates a lot of the noise created by the exhaust. And yes I have a Dynamax turbo muffler on my car and it is a great muffler, not too loud

SOLD!!
            Boosted H22
            375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
              that's exactly what I said...oem style muffler...ALONG WITH the two resonators...never said straight through muffler
              Wasn't attacking you man, I was referring to my white project setup hahaha.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005 View Post
                Do I need a resonator?

How is it gonna sound?
                Yea u will need one. Get the biggest one u can fit. If ur running w/o a cat get two.

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

The larger the diameter exhaust the louder.
                  How so? There is more surface area for the waves to die on.

And a quiet exhaust is a restrictive exhaust. Period. It's quiet because it's chambered. Chambers are restrictions.

I'd say get something like either a super medallion, or an S2K muffler. Both are quiet and probably are the best designed for performance.

Definitely get a quality cat and some resonators.

But depending on how much power you want to make, a muffler can be very restrictive. I believe DRQPQUT gained like 40whp from a muffler alone.

For anything above 200whp, something like the ws2 is restrictive.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

how about this keep the stock exhaust to run around town, get a good header with 2.5' collector and then add an electric exhaust cutout after the collector, and when you go to race or something, flip the switch and run an open exhaust for max power. now thats sleeper

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php
                    ^^^^ just a good exmaple of the cut out,they sell these things on jegs and summit they are just their own brand. and im sure there is multiple companies as well.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Maybe he should get him a set of 3 dollar ear plugs and save the money on all the crap hes going to need to make his exh quiet. 2.5 inch with a good muffler, it'll be loud but it will make good power.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                      "The Turtle"
                      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Wasn't attacking you man, I was referring to my white project setup hahaha.
                        aaaahhh...I see..speaking of which...time for me to check that build thread of yours to see the dyno sheet...riiiiiight?...riiiiiIIIIIight? HA HA...off topic poke

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                        How so? There is more surface area for the waves to die on.

And a quiet exhaust is a restrictive exhaust. Period. It's quiet because it's chambered. Chambers are restrictions.

I'd say get something like either a super medallion, or an S2K muffler. Both are quiet and probably are the best designed for performance.

Definitely get a quality cat and some resonators.

But depending on how much power you want to make, a muffler can be very restrictive. I believe DRQPQUT gained like 40whp from a muffler alone.

For anything above 200whp, something like the ws2 is restrictive.
                        That what I always thought too, that the larger the pipes the deeper and quieter...to a point of course
                        ____

Comment

Working...
                        X