No announcement yet.

Radiator Fan Won't Come On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connect the two wires for the thermoswitch. fans will stay on as long as the car is. save yourself 50~ dollars from buying a new oem one.

Be Clean

Comment

my car was doing this to me and i was never able to figure it out i just ended up swapping the motor and it hasnt happened yet.

Comment

Nobody knows where the fan timer is?
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2418752

Comment

Up because my car is having the same problem right now.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The fan timer is under the dash straight up from the main relay.
            Officially "hilarious mad sarcastic"! Thanks CB74christ for the recognition of my work.

Comment

^^^ true i just changed mine and works now. alittle hard to unbolt if your not small. good luck

Comment

You mentioned you jumped the thermoswitch but did you do both? The front one by the upper rad hose (black thermoswitch) is for when the car is shut off. The one by the thermostat (pink thermoswitch) is for when the car is running.

The fan timer is up in the left side of the dash, partially blocked by the silver cc controller. It's black in color.

Comment

also check the wires for the thermoswitch on the thermostat housing that was my problem. one of the wires was ripped and i couldnt tell until i pulled the covering off the wire and saw that it was ripped so i spliced a new plug onto that and it hasnt happend since.

Comment

Found the timer, but through more reading, that doesn't appear to be the problem. As far as I can tell, the ONLY thing it does is make sure the fan stays on for a couple minutes after you shut the car off if the temperature warrants it. It does. I tried jumping the connection at the thermoswitch at the thermostat, and the fan doesn't kick on like it should with the ignition on. It does kick on when jumping with the ignition off.

I tried pulling the relay to see if I heard a "click" as you pull it off. I did NOT hear the click when pulling the fan relay, but I did when pulling the power window one. I switched the relays to make sure the relay was good, and I got the same result. That makes me think that it is a wiring problem between the fuse box and whatever the hell that connects to, but I didn't touch any of that wiring. All I did was extend several engine harness wires and some of the wires now behind the fender. Nothing going into the fuse box. What's next to check?

Comment

Originally posted by YK86 View Post
                      You mentioned you jumped the thermoswitch but did you do both? The front one by the upper rad hose (black thermoswitch) is for when the car is shut off. The one by the thermostat (pink thermoswitch) is for when the car is running.

The fan timer is up in the left side of the dash, partially blocked by the silver cc controller. It's black in color.
                      Just the one at the thermostat.

Comment

That is weird, that one by the thermostat should 100% make the fan come on when its jumped with the ignition on. Try jumping the upper rad hose thermoswitch. If the fan comes on with the car on, I think some wires were mxied up during the wire tuck.

Comment

I'll try that, but the colors in the wire diagram in the service manual match what's physically attached.

Comment

Originally posted by YK86 View Post
                            That is weird, that one by the thermostat should 100% make the fan come on when its jumped with the ignition on. Try jumping the upper rad hose thermoswitch. If the fan comes on with the car on, I think some wires were mxied up during the wire tuck.
                            I had totally written this suggestion off because I didn't think I could be so stupid as to swap the damn connectors. Sure enough, that seems to be it. I'll undo the loom (probably Thursday night) and connect them to the right switch. Thanks YK86.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Fanatic View Post
                              I had totally written this suggestion off because I didn't think I could be so stupid as to swap the damn connectors. Sure enough, that seems to be it. I'll undo the loom (probably Thursday night) and connect them to the right switch. Thanks YK86.

No problem. The fan not working is a problem I have helped diagnosed quite a few times now (on various cb's including my own). I'm not one to force my suggestions on someone so I left it at that but I'm glad in the end, it was of some use.

Comment

Working...
                              X