my needles went crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my needles went crazy!

Ok here is the scoop, I'm driving home from picking up my daughter from school and my spedo and tach needles start going all the way down and back up. It did it fast and a like 10 times so I'm like SHIT I have a loose connection to the Battery or my alt is taking a crap. I'm not positive on this thats why I'm asking my CB7 family for help. Oh my dash light go dim when the turn signal is on or when I accelerate. I use to rebuild alternators and I know that sometimes when they go bad when they wind up they will lose the output they put out. So any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    Cappuccino Member #9<--- click for thread

^click for MRT^
    CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
    Coupe MRT

sounds like a bad ground somewhere. it wouldnt be the dist because that only does RPM not the speedo.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
    member ride thread
    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
      sounds like a bad ground somewhere. it wouldnt be the dist because that only does RPM not the speedo.
      I was thinking that to but my Battery light never went on

^click for MRT^
      CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
      Coupe MRT

Comment

i'd check the lead that goes to the alternator. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Definitely sounds like the alternator is going out. Sometimes they go bad and the battery light never turns on.

PURCHASED NOVEMBER 1991. THAT'S RIGHT, I'M THE ONE AND ONLY OWNER. BEAT THAT!

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
            i'd check the lead that goes to the alternator. later.
            Just checked the alternator wires and all look ok.

Originally posted by r1emperor View Post
            Definitely sounds like the alternator is going out. Sometimes they go bad and the battery light never turns on.
            Thats what I was thinking. I think the alternator has been bad for sometime I replaced the battery less then a year ago and it started right up after a half a crank and now it takes 3-4 cranks. I will replace the alternator and the negative battery cable. the cable is a little covered in oil and crap and it looks like it needs to be done.

I hope its ok tomorrow!! lol

^click for MRT^
            CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
            Coupe MRT

Comment

Oh Thanks Shag Wagon for the Alternator and negitive cable!!

^click for MRT^
              CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
              Coupe MRT

Comment

i remember this my alternator cable would alwayz pop out clip was broken would do tht all the time, needles went crazy music cut lights dim. threw on some tie wraps shes good now lol..
                2004 Accord Sedan CM6 (daily)
                Koni Yellows, Hood Bra,Splash Guards,Deck Lid,Weather Mats,Sunroof Visor,Fog Lights <-All OEM, Mugen Door Visors, 07 Tsx Wheels.
                1990 Accord Coupe CB7 (project)
                H22 Swap, Skunk2 Springs on Koni Str.t, Rear Disk Swap, Fog Lights, 92-93 Trunk Conversion, 02 Accord Rims

Comment

Yea that clip aint broke. I wiggled it yesterday and it wasnt broke. Brian dont forget to go get that one that Brian Gary sold ya and make sure its good to go. And go get yours checked before you do anything. I think AAP will put a little clip on your alternator and see if its gettin enough voltage just from it.

Comment

look into your Ignition Switch as well.

if everything checks out...check your ignition switch.
                    92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                    My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Originally posted by SN2BH22CB7 View Post
                      look into your Ignition Switch as well.

if everything checks out...check your ignition switch.
                      funny you should say that, guess what well I'm driving down the road and BOOM nothing! the needles go down and I got nothing! So I'm on the side of the freeway going hmm maybe I blew a fuse, check fuses and nope all good. I had this happen to me when I first got the car and remember its probably the harness that connects to the ignition switch and goes to the fuse box. the car starts and I have to hold the key in the starting position, just backed off so the starter wont engage. drove the rest of the way home like that! lol
                      Only thing that sucks is I forgot what the hell that harness was called! I know its around $75 for it. Anyone know what its called?

EDIT: I went to Advanced this morning and the charging system is fine in the car, but the Alternator cant keep up with the system! So I'm gonna look into a cap and maybe a higher amp alternator.
                      Last edited by lilb_1979; 05-14-2009, 11:37 AM.

^click for MRT^
                      CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
                      Coupe MRT

Comment

Originally posted by lilb_1979 View Post
                        funny you should say that, guess what well I'm driving down the road and BOOM nothing! the needles go down and I got nothing! So I'm on the side of the freeway going hmm maybe I blew a fuse, check fuses and nope all good. I had this happen to me when I first got the car and remember its probably the harness that connects to the ignition switch and goes to the fuse box. the car starts and I have to hold the key in the starting position, just backed off so the starter wont engage. drove the rest of the way home like that! lol
                        Only thing that sucks is I forgot what the hell that harness was called! I know its around $75 for it. Anyone know what its called?

EDIT: I went to Advanced this morning and the charging system is fine in the car, but the Alternator cant keep up with the system! So I'm gonna look into a cap and maybe a higher amp alternator.
                        Have you looked into the ignitor inside the distributor? My parents car had the rpm fluxation problem where it would jump up and down out of the blue, and it ended up dying a few times while driving on the road . Since we replaced that its been smooth no issues what so ever. It was like $80 from honda but i've seen aftermarket ones for cheaper, but i'd stick with oem

My Cb bad, Cb bright and the cops can kiss my Cb lights - I’m gone!
                        Frost White Member 13
                        My Ride
                        "Girls are like a new car... lease w/ option to buy"

Comment

Ignitor its a common problem.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by icedplaya123 View Post
                            Have you looked into the ignitor inside the distributor? My parents car had the rpm fluxation problem where it would jump up and down out of the blue, and it ended up dying a few times while driving on the road . Since we replaced that its been smooth no issues what so ever. It was like $80 from honda but i've seen aftermarket ones for cheaper, but i'd stick with oem
                            Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                            Ignitor its a common problem.
                            Hmmm, thanks guys I will look into that!

^click for MRT^
                            CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
                            Coupe MRT

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                              ... it wouldnt be the dist because that only does RPM not the speedo.
                              that goes for the ignitor too, it wouldn't effect the speedo, either, since that gets it's signal from the vss in the trans. I changed distributors to get rid of my crazy tach signal just recently, which didn't go away even with a new Ignitor chip from Honda, so that problem can be from a sensor or wiring in the dizzy too.

New alternator brush kits are less than $30 from Hondaautoparts, btw.
                              Last edited by lucid; 05-14-2009, 03:06 PM.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                              After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                              Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                              PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Working...
                              X