Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civic half saized radiators: do they fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIne sits on the crossmember in the front and I moved the tab to where you can see it there on top. That is really all there is to it.
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Originally posted by chessboxer View Post
      MIne sits on the crossmember in the front and I moved the tab to where you can see it there on top. That is really all there is to it.
      so all the hoses fit like they're supposed to?

Comment

Indeed.

The outlet port on the top of the radiator is a little smaller than ours and you need a slightly smaller hose, but apart from that, its all gravy.

Comment

Indeed.

The outlet port on the top of the radiator is a little smaller than ours and you need a slightly smaller hose, but apart from that, its all gravy.
          perfect. thanx man.

Comment

The upper rad hose or the small hose that goes to the overflow tank?

1999 BMW M3
            2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
            2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
            2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Upper radiator hose, should have made that more clear.

Even when we had my turbo glowing on the dyno last tune, I did not experience any overheating, and I have my turbo coolant lines run through it as well.

I may not stay lucky forever, but I have been thus far.

knock on wood.

Comment

92-96 Civic Yanaka Half Rad

Here is how I mounted my dual core Yanaka 92-96 Civic half rad.

Stock = 13 3/4 x 26 11/16 x 5/8
                Yanaka = 18 1/2 x 15 1/4 x 2

Should be more than enough to keep a 2.2L cool, even on those warm summer days.

This is a bit more in depth than using a zap strap and some foam bumper stops.

Started by removing the stock lower rad mounts.

Drilled out the spot welds and they came off with no problems.
                They are a little bit rough but with a quick sand blast and a coat of fresh paint they should last.

I had to cut out the socket in the cross member that was used to hold the A/C condenser. It was in the way of my new mount location. You can see in the first image that it curves out from the front bulkhead approx 1/2".

Had a piece of pre-bent steel that was the right thickness and pretty much the perfect contour, cut it to size and tacked it in place.

After that I mocked up the rad to mark where all the mounts were to be welded and holes drilled for screws.

At this time I heated up the replacement plate and the cross member to bend them into shape. Welded the seams and the bulkhead was better than stock with the newly located lower mounts welded to it.

Drilled and welded nuts to the underside of the upper cross member for the upper rad mount. Just have the one finished in this pic. I used one of the stock CD5 upper rad mounts and bushings for the single mount on the Yanaka half rad.

I used the rubber bushings from the CD5 A/C condenser for the lower rad mounts. I had to drill out the inner diameter of the bushings a wee bit to get them to fit over the Yonaka posts. I also had to bore out the lower rad mounts to accept the larger bushings.

Securely mounted and ready for hoses.

With more than enough space between the front bulkhead and the rad. No foam or padding required for spacing with the two lower mounts installed.

MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I got a 3 core half rad a bit broad but no problems, always remember to bleed the system.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                    Here is how I mounted my dual core Yanaka 92-96 Civic half rad.
                    Fantastic work sir!

Comment

i have a civic single core on my f22 with no over heating problems as for mounting it was simple but i have my f22 in a civic so i guess that is why it was easy.lol

Comment

Fantastic work sir!
                        Thanks,

It took me more than a few hrs but I think it was worth it to do the extra work. Probably take a bit longer and be a bit harder to do this type of mod with the engine in place. Still doable though.
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Yeah mine is out of a Del Sol and no overheating issues, even in the blistering Texas heat!!!

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                            Thanks,

It took me more than a few hrs but I think it was worth it to do the extra work. Probably take a bit longer and be a bit harder to do this type of mod with the engine in place. Still doable though.
                            Yeah, I was in a huge rush when I did mine. Mine actually rests on the one on the passenger side, but I was in a huge rush when I did mine, as I did it so that I could convert it to external wg.

I might do something like you did there as well myself now.

Comment

Yeah, I was in a huge rush when I did mine. Mine actually rests on the one on the passenger side, but I was in a huge rush when I did mine, as I did it so that I could convert it to external wg.

I might do something like you did there as well myself now.
                              Yours looks good and as long as it's in there solid what does it matter. 2 mounts are better than one and a zip tie. But I guess it really is whatever works

I thought long and hard about leaving my passenger side mount in the stock position. But decided to move it over the 2 inches. To give me more room to play with for header design.
                              MR Thread
                              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

thanks guys ive been wonderin the same thing for a while
                                to achieve a Fuck, you must first give a Fuck
                                Follow me on twitter @tru_whitetrash

Comment

Working...
                                X