Won't start when I fill up gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start when I fill up gas tank

OK guys and gals, here is a good tech question for all of you.

I went yesterday into NJ to do grocery shopping, drop off a set of old knuckles I got from 90LXKing and get gas (since in NJ it is cheaper than NY).

well I shut the car off at the gas station, took off the gas cap and proceeded to fill up. I got back in the car and turned the key and the car only cranked without starting. OH SNAP !!, my stomach turned over twice. I pushed the car off to the side and sat for a few minutes every so often cranking the engine. Finally after @ 5-10 minutes I tried again and it started fine.

I'm leaning toward a diagnosis of a problem in the fuel system. I plan on changing the fuel filter (can't remember when it was changed last). But do you think it might be a problem with the fuel pump starting to give up the ghost?

Ideas are helpful, thanks in advance
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Same thing happened to me. Turned out to be my distributer rotor.

Comment

fuel main relay?

Comment

main relay... some one said its common cb7 problem

Comment

Originally posted by VTS View Post
          main relay... some one said its common cb7 problem
          definetly a main relay my car does that too, but only when hot, that explains why you said you can start it after you wait a while

but go ahead and change the fuel filter and stuff if you havnt...preventative maintenance is key

there is a write up on how to fix this problem without having to buy a new one check it out in the DIY forum
          good luck
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

today i drove the car all around without a hint of problem. This problem only occured when I filled up with gas. This is the second time its happened, i forgot to mention that in the original post. The first time it happened was two weeks ago when i put gas in it then. After that the car ran fine until yesterday when I went to gas it up. Could it be the fuel pump?

Comment

I dont think so, usually fuel pump working or not working well, cant see any relation with full gas tank...
              Any way, you'll see it later.

Comment

ok kids !!

car wouldn't start when I went grocery shopping yesterday, had to towed home.

called out this morning and was gonna have the car towed to my mechanics place when i tried to start the car and it fired up like it had no problem.

i drove it to the shop and had him replace the main relay and the fuel pump !

so far so good, i drove the car a few places and it started every time. i kept all the old parts and just got to find the thread about resoldering a main relay.

total cost was $80 for labor (including repairing a bad wire on the wife's Hyundai) and two saturdays doing deliveries for B+B Auto Parts with no pay!

Comment

hey i would look into the dizzy first. its usually the problem. it happened to me. its prob a good idea to just replace the whole thing. i was thinking the other stuff first but. it was the dizzy it seems to be a common problem.
                  the fact that it didnt start after you put gas in is just coincidence. i mean you said it was only for about 10 min. when i had the problem sometime i could wait 10 min and it wouldnt start. but with a lil more waiting it started. lol. if it had gas in before and you just put more in shouldnt change flow or anything. is there like a crank crank pop. sound?
                  Last edited by esskater892; 04-29-2009, 03:26 PM.
                  Accord SE

93se
                  Members Ride
                  Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                  Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Working...
                  X