Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blowing White Smoke BIG TIME in the morning..but only when it is cold...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blowing White Smoke BIG TIME in the morning..but only when it is cold...

hey, i have a quick question, i think i know what it is, but some advice and some from here will confirm my hypothesis.....well my car blow a shit load of white smoke in the morning when i start up, it only last for about 1-2 minutes.....i think it is because i changed my oil with some thick ass oil (trying to prevent a leak and burning oil problem) i used like 3 qts of 10w-40 and 2 qts of 20w-50.....i think thats is the reason for the smoke..and yes i know it is stupid, but i checked my oil today, and i have almost as much as i had when i added the fresh oil......my dad told me to add a little bit of brake fluid in the oil to make the seals bigger, therefore slowing a leak down....he has been working on cars for like 30 years, so im sure he knows what he is talking about...and BTW the brake fluid is not making it smoke so dont say it is....cause i just added the brake fluid today, and i havent started it up since......any help would be nice..see ya

Ask your Pops
    Bean Town Crew Member #3
    Lovin' the 6MT w/ Nav TL!
    "They Aint the REAL McCOY!"

Comment

Why the hell would you want to add brake fluid to oil? Brake fluid is CORROSIVE and would eat the hell outta some seals... sounds like an Arkansas answer to me. j/k

Are you sure it isn't just the steam via condensation from an engine warming up on a cold day?
      Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
      2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
      2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
      2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

bad vavle seals. or a crack on one of the piston rings. take ur pick.
        do a compresion test. and no more brake fluid. tell ur dad cars have changed. and this one is different from the american cars that he used to work before.
        good luck
        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

sounds to me like a valve job is soon to come
          I don't lie, I bullshit

Comment

hey guys get this...im on lunch right now from work....and there was no oil under my car when i left....so i dont know whats up with that...if the brake fluid did work, i wouldnt think it would work so soon..i would thuink it would take hundreds of miles for it to break in.....hmm.....and yes i think i may be losing very LITTLE bit of coolant...not much at all. my car never gets hot or anything....i still think it is because the oil is way to thick...next time i will just go straight 10w-40...cause my car has never really smoke before now...it usually lets a small puff out when i full throttle and shift at like 5,200 rpm....but other than that nothing at all....and actually my dad didnt work on american cars all that much, he worked for mazda for like 25 years.....

Comment

hmm

well first i agree with just about everyone, no more brake fluid...it is corrosive and it'll do more damage than help........and i have a cb7 and it blows white smoke too.......only during the cold...so i'm almost possitive it is just steam that lingers around in the cold air because mine does that too........rev it up a bit and let it warm up and drive it it'll stop.........
              Josh D. Garcia

Comment

My '95 did this for awhile just before i sold it but i could never figure out what it was. it willbillow white smoke for like 30sec. to a minute and then it was gone and wouldn't come back untill the car was cold again.
                did't lose oil or coolant that i could see, It really had me confused so i sold it and let someone else deal with it, they have since rebuilt the motor.
                www.theskylineshop.com
                Godzilla is coming......

Comment

well this morning when i left for work the smoke was not quite as bad as the other days..im gonna check it out again tommorow morning and see whats happening...

Comment

See how the billowing plumes come out in relation to the ambient temperature. Example: more when colder, less when warmer, more when 43 out then when 57 out, stuff like that.

And another thing:

Does the 'white smoke' have a strong smell to it and does it linger around making a fog on a still day, or does it disapear after blowing out only a few feet?
                    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

well man it does not smoke at all when the weather is warm...the smoke does not have a strong smell, or any smell that i know of, but it does linger around like fog.....im fixing to leave for work, here in about 5 minutes, so i will see what happens this morning....see ya

Comment

I have same problem now,since the noise at the valve cover area is becoming worse,so I thought basically the valves........... seals or what? Really expensive to replace?

Angels East,Angels West,North and South,just do your best,to guard her and watch her while she rests.

Comment

haha fuck i forgot to post back and tell you how it was yesterday morning....no smoke at all, and it was cold.

Comment

My car has started doing this in the past few days. Today when I started the honda, it was a thick white smoke. Nothing like condensation type smoke. And it was 28 degrees outside. I did notice a little bit of blue smoke as well when I brought it to like 4 grand to see if the thick white smoke would clear.

Now recently the guy who does my oil told me he wanted to put Castrol GTX high mileage in the car. He said it would be better for the seals, but ever since that oil change, that is when the problems have started. The blue smoke with the white.

If I let the car warm up for about 15 minutes, the smoke goes away. Today though, it didnt seem to want to leave so I parked the car halfway to school and walked. When I got back to car after it sat for an hour, I started it up and no smoke, only from the condensation and it being so cold outside.

I am going to check my fluid levels and then put some miles on her around town today.

Tonight I will be at my boss's shop, so I will stay late and look over the car. Maybe pull the plugs to see I can notice anything. Maybe autozone will let me borrow a compression tester.

What sucks is that I never beat on the car. I rarely shift over 3k because the streets around here are only 30-40mph.

Comment

Originally posted by exexexex
                              I have same problem now,since the noise at the valve cover area is becoming worse,so I thought basically the valves........... seals or what? Really expensive to replace?
                              Same here ... I'm pretty sure it's my valve seals due to some shitty work by a certain shop. I tried asking before how much that crap usually costs, but nobody answered me. My guess would be around $300 maybe ??

Comment

Working...
                              X