oil in spark plug cyilinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil in spark plug cyilinder

So I went to change my spark plugs yesterday and in the middle two spark plug holes there was oil while the outer two were pretty dry. What is causing this on my F22 and what is it gonna take to fix this? Is it the sparkplug tube seals? or bad valves?

Probably bad tube seals.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

the seals around the tubes are flat, and allow oil to drip in

new valve cover gasket and 4 seals were 22 bucks from honda

Comment

So at this point no one is thinking it may be a bad set of valves? Just the tube seal? SWEET!

Comment

The replacement isn't too hard. I went to autozone and bought the felpro kit which contained lower and upper seals as well as the valve cover gasket. There's an excellent DIY here somewhere that will help you out.

Comment

i did it at a truck stop on the way to mn, in about 5 mins, just use a size 10mm socket and take the four bolts off, along with your wires, and ground.

important: make sure you put it on right or it will leak like a motherfucker

Comment

If the electrodes are wet , you have an issue.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
              1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
              2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
              2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
              2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
              2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the Advice. I have a new valve cover waiting to get powder coated. I guess now is a good time since I will be redoing the seals.

Konigs-What do you mean? I pulled the old plugs out and they were coated in oil. but I don't feel any loss of power...
                Last edited by topcop182; 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by topcop182 View Post
                  Konigs-What do you mean? I pulled the old plugs out and they were coated in oil. but I don't feel any loss of power...
                  I mean the bottom part where it meets the combustion chamber. If that bottom part is wet , you have an issue. If it is dry and only the top (spark plug boot area) is wet , then it's only the seals.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                  1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                  2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                  2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                  2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                  2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

ok well say that it is wet. What issues am I looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by topcop182 View Post
                      ok well say that it is wet. What issues am I looking at?
                      Your plug was covered in oil so of course its going to be wet.
                      wat?

Comment

Right. so what types of problems could be happening. No seems to be able to answer this question.

Comment

what he's saying is, if the electrode (bottom most part of plug) is wet, then you have an issue with excess oil in the combustion chamber, i.e. bad valve seal etc.

the problem is, you most likely have bad tube seals, which will undoubtedly cover the entire plug with oil when you pull it out anyways, so you would have no way to know if the electrode is getting wet

take the 10 minutes, and $20, and replace the valve cover gasket, you can get it from almost any auto parts store, and with 4 10MM nuts, the whole thing comes off, and you put the new one on. it usually comes with the tube seals too. i usually recommend using rtv to hold the gasket to the valve cover during assembly.

and trust me, it is easy, i did my last one in a parking lot
                          The CB7 Timeline

Comment

Though his lower seals are the most likely to be failing right now, which definitely takes more than 10 minutes to do; you have to remove the whole rocker assembly.

Comment

Wasn't there a DIY on the lower tube seals.. I've searched and can't find one...

Comment

Working...
                              X