Fuel Filter Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Filter Problem

as you can see the fuel filter is very rusty. i bought the car about a year ago and i went to tune it up. but i can't take the old fuel filter out because it's rusted on. i tried wd40, liquid wrench, and pb blaster. it still won't loosen. if anyone has had this problem let me konw how you figured it out. my last resort is taking it to a local mechanic shop and have them do it.

MOVING TO BACK FLORIDA IN 2 WEEKS. CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK OVER THERE.

Is that the vacuum box in the way? If it is get it out of the way. Get as much room as you can. Get some line wrenches with good leverage, pb blast those fittings and pull. That should work. Line wrenches work best for those flare fittings. If you can get the flex head kind then thats even better. Hope that helps

Comment

i have tried all that and some. but they just won't come off. i did move everything out the way.

Comment

Cheater bar

If you do this you NEED to use a flare nut wrench or you risk stripping the nut.

Step 1. put wrench on nut.
        Step 2. slide cheater bar over end of flare wrench.
        Step 3. BE MANLY WITH IT!

With a cheater bar you shouldn't have to put much effort in at all.

And if you don't have a cheater bar you can use the closed end of a larger wrench and link them together. This is a little trick that works nice. I am sure somewhere on the internet there is a picture of how to put them together, but if you mess with it you will figure it out.

The key thing to remember is the more leverage the less effort on your part.

Also make sure you are turning the nut towards the windshield.
        Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 03-10-2009, 10:19 PM.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Definitely you cannot use a flame torch to heat it up, but you can try a hair dryer to heat it up a little bit then use all your might with all the previous techniques you did. Good luck and hope you get it off.

Comment

use the cheater style and crack it loose dont ease into it just give it the beans swiftly!

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
            member ride thread
            11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
            People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
            I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
            John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by 9tAkord View Post
              Definitely you cannot use a flame torch to heat it up, but you can try a hair dryer to heat it up a little bit then use all your might with all the previous techniques you did. Good luck and hope you get it off.
              heating up a fuel line just doesnt sound right. if even soo, a "little" wont do it.
              Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
              -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

Yeah

Originally posted by cali-racer View Post
                heating up a fuel line just doesnt sound right. if even soo, a "little" wont do it.
                Yeah, don't do that, the last thing we need is to loose a member or a cb7 to a fuel filter.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Try to get a snap-on line wrench, works every time.

Comment

i do have i cheater bar. but didn't think about that will try it tomorrow and see what happens. but about heating up a gas line. i'm cool with that i don't want to lose my car. cause of fuel filter lol lol. thanks guys hope this works

Comment

Those copper fittings strip real easy be careful with that. I find that the flare nut wrenches work the best.

Comment

i tried the cheater stick and i started to bend the fuel line and that a no no. how does a flare nut wrench look like. i might have used it but i don't know it by that name

Comment

A flare wrench/ line wrench looks like the box end of a regular combo open/box wrench but it has a slot cut in it so you can slide it over the pipe but allows for more even torque distribution on the nut.

member ride thread
                          DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                          I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                          John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

thanks for the info no but i will try it with that and see.

Comment

worst comes to worst you could always hack the line off and convert it to -6AN lines

member ride thread
                              DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS

Comment

Working...
                              X