Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a qucik easy question for anyone with an opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a qucik easy question for anyone with an opinion.

I need a passenger axle. the boot is sliding around and spitting grease all over.
    I hear nothing but bad things about autozone axles. I want to replace this and not do it again for a fair amount of time.

Napa is what Firestone buys from and a friend that works there says they are decent.
    Honda wants a couple hundred. Ummm F-that. Is Napa really decent or am i better off getting mine rebuilt?

Thanks.

i got my new ones from orileys and never had a problem
    just my 2cents

Comment

NAPA is decent.

I had one that clicked after a couple of weeks, but it sat on the shelf for like 5 years. I still need to replace that one. The other side has been fine for about 2 years and 30K so far.

FYI, there is a core on your stock ones if they are still Honda, and you give them back to Honda. There is also a 1 year free replacement warranty if you install it, or a 1yr/12K mile warranty if they install it. I have yet to replace an OEM Honda axle in LESS than 115K.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Napa is good.

Depending on how long the boot has been ripped you could just throw new grease and boot on it.
        wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
          Napa is good.

Depending on how long the boot has been ripped you could just throw new grease and boot on it.
          If the axle is clicking, it is too late, however if it isn't, he MIGHT be able to get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
            If the axle is clicking, it is too late, however if it isn't, he MIGHT be able to get away with it.
            Yeah thats true. I know when I got my car a year or two ago the pass boot was ripped, so I got all new boots for both sides, inner and outter, The axles looked pretty old, but the joints were all good. So I threw the new boots and grease on ( after cleaning the old out first) and its been fine ever since.
            wat?

Comment

there isn't going to be much difference in price of the honda axle vs the napa axle.

i'd get the honda one, but like stated, napa is decent.

Originally posted by owequitit
              add to that, it can be re-booted as long as there's no clicking and NO contaimination from dirt/dust/debris. later.
              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Nope, just started clicking a little. i would rather get a new one anyway. they have 166k on them.

Now you said they have a core? like i buy a new one and honda will pay for the old one? or back to the store and i get some back?

EDIT: The Honda one was a couple hundred, and Napa said around $50 for my grandpa. but he drive parts for a dealer so he gets hooked up frequently.

Comment

more like if you don't give them your old axle the price will be more. that's with anywhere you buy it. honda only takes honda cores though as napa will take any core. later.
                  Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
                    Nope, just started clicking a little. i would rather get a new one anyway. they have 166k on them.

Now you said they have a core? like i buy a new one and honda will pay for the old one? or back to the store and i get some back?

EDIT: The Honda one was a couple hundred, and Napa said around $50 for my grandpa. but he drive parts for a dealer so he gets hooked up frequently.
                    The counter price is more likely to be in the $90-100 range from NAPA, and NAPA is quoting you the price based on you giving them your old axle, which is the core. In order to actually get the axle from Napa, you are going to either have to turn in your old one, or pay around $160 until you do turn in your old one.

Honda quotes you the retail price, and then IF you turn in an OEM Honda axle, they put a note that they will refund XX for the core, which brings the price to just slightly higher than NAPA. You get a higher quality axle to boot. It isn't uncommon for the OEM Honda axles to go 100+K. Even if NAPA's go for 60K, which is unusual for most aftermarket rebuilds, the Honda axle still ends up being a better deal.

Having dealt with most of them, I personally won't use anything other than Honda unless I have too. It is cheaper overall, when you really work out the math of cost, time and labor. I have yet to replace a Honda axle twice, and we have some pretty high mileage cars. The ONLY reason I even have NAPA on my car is because the axles I got from the junkyard to swap it to a manual were no longer OEM Honda, and thus didn't qualify for Honda's core charge. Even then, I am tempted to pony up the cash for the OEM axle that needs replaced because it lasted all of 10k, if that.

Also, a note about OEM Honda rebuilds. They don't just slap new bearings and grease in them like Autozone does. They REPLACE any component that doesn't measure to within factory OEM specs, and they replace them with components that ARE factory OEM spec. No cheap bearings, no cheap races, no cheap boots. Unless you get some fluke of a rebuild (why they have a warranty) the OEM Honda rebuilds are going to last as long as the originals.

A side note from experience. I used to use autozone stuff. I always figured that "OEM is too expensive" or "they are the same quality." I could NEVER figure out why our original stuff was running 150+K without issue, but all of the replacement parts were failing all the time. Then I met a tech who told me about OEM Honda, and I haven't used anything else since. I have replaced 1 O-ring on 1 brake caliper that failed prematurely, and other than that, nothing has needed replaced twice in 20 years, 8 cars, and over a million miles. I quickly realized that if you need to have the car working and reliable, OEM is the ONLY way to go. There is a reason why dealer serviced cars run 500+K without major issue, and it isn't magic.

Also, usually if you use www.manhonda.com ; www.hondaautomotiveparts.com ; or www.slhondaparts.com ; you can usually beat those "cheaper" prices, or at least match them.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                      more like if you don't give them your old axle the price will be more. that's with anywhere you buy it. honda only takes honda cores though as napa will take any core. later.
                      just wondering. i wasn't sure. Would honda take anything as a core? like P/S pumps and A/C compressors and stuff like that?

Maybe ill look for a list of honda cores and start coring shit out.

Comment

all of those stores, napa, autozone oriellys etc.....carry reman and new replacement axles and are all warranteed. We've had good success with the "new" replacement ones. havent' honestly had any comebacks. One brand i like is "DTA" comes in a black n yellow box. The problem with the reman ones is simply they're reused old parts and are sloppy and real loose. some of the splines are flat, knicked etc.... nothing worst then trying to put an axle in a waiting customer's car and having to sit there with a jewler's file cleaning out each n every single spline in order to get it to slide in correctly.

Also, there is no core charge on "NEW" axles.

good luck.

-Zol

WTB: rightside jdm 1piece headlight or just glass.

Comment

Napa has better products imo, than the competitors.(orielly's autozone etc.) honda ones are the best though

Comment

Originally posted by reaction360 View Post
                            all of those stores, napa, autozone oriellys etc.....carry reman and new replacement axles and are all warranteed. We've had good success with the "new" replacement ones. havent' honestly had any comebacks. One brand i like is "DTA" comes in a black n yellow box. The problem with the reman ones is simply they're reused old parts and are sloppy and real loose. some of the splines are flat, knicked etc.... nothing worst then trying to put an axle in a waiting customer's car and having to sit there with a jewler's file cleaning out each n every single spline in order to get it to slide in correctly.

Also, there is no core charge on "NEW" axles.

good luck.

-Zol
                            A proper reman doesn't have that problem.

Not all reman's are crap, and I would bet cash money that Honda's remans are BETTER than aftermarket "new" axles.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
                              just wondering. i wasn't sure. Would honda take anything as a core? like P/S pumps and A/C compressors and stuff like that?

Maybe ill look for a list of honda cores and start coring shit out.
                              You only get the core back, if you buy the part to replace it. You can't just collect them and send them back.

Comment

Working...
                              X