Blockoff plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blockoff plate

Sorry guys, I did search, but it "produced no results". I just was doing some research for my swap this weekend, and I was thinking about a blockoff plate for the EGR, to keep my engine cleaner and also gain some horsepower. Now I read that it will kill my gas mileage and mess with my idle. What's the real deal here? What are the pros/cons. I was gonna do it tonight, so I kinda would like to know soon.

P.S. Links are okay too!
    -Jay

Re: Blockoff plate

Originally posted by Bluejayde
    gain some horsepower.
    wtf? how many horsepower do you think you are goin to gain? 40?

its like disconecting Powersteering, you might see 1hp.
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

just read this:
      Originally posted by midnite racer x
      egr block off plate prevents the exhaust from going back into the intake system. The egr stands for exhaust gas recirculation. Yea, if u didn't know beforehand...some of your exhaust gases get re-routed back into the intake manifold for emissions purposes. The exhaust gas is inert(since its already been combusted) and since inert gases don't burn it just takes up space in the combustion chambers. The egr valve only opens during cruising though and helps with gas economy i believe. It reduces c02 or no2 whatever the hell is in exhaust gases. It isn't open at WOT. Most ppl, like myself, just do the block off to prevent the intake manifold from getting dirty. No need to buy one of those plates tho. Just simply take off your egr valve, trace the bottom of it and then cut that figure out on a thin sheet of aluminum. Took me all of like 10 minutes...added some rtv sealant to seal the plate in tho. Hope this helped

p.s. not a wise mod if u have strict emissions laws
      5.6L V8 32V DOHC
      JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Re: Re: Blockoff plate

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
        wtf? how many horsepower do you think you are goin to gain? 40?

its like disconecting Powersteering, you might see 1hp.
        Okay, first off calm down. I was asking a question. In response to yours, no, I did not expect 40 HP. I just might as well free up as much horsepower as possible, right? I just want to know if it's worth the trouble. From the way it sounds, I'll lose gas mileage and good idle, but my intake won't be as dirty. So far, I don't think I will do it. Anyone else have an opinion?
        -Jay

Comment

If you're trying to squeeze out every litlte bit of performance that you can then sure go ahead. I want to do it as well.

BTW do the a1/4/6 all share the same egr valve? Or at least the same shape. If so maybe I can get the CNC machiner i know t omake a hwole bunch of these, worth a try.

Comment

I have one...

Blocking it off actually helped my idle when I had the 272 cam in the SOHC...

Didn't notice much of a difference on the F20A DOHC though... so I took it off... and it seemed to like it a little better...

My opinion is that unless you have cammed the shit out of your motor or are boosting... it's not really worth it on an engine with only bolt ons...

But once I drop the Delta H23 cams into the F20A I will be putting the blockoff plate back on so I can get a slightly less lumpy idle...

pic:
            RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Zigen what are the specs on the bolts u used

Comment

Originally posted by luisitol
                Zigen what are the specs on the bolts u used

There are 2 studs that are screwed into the mani...they go through the 2 holes in the egr valve housing...

I used those studs and the stock nuts....

AND...

As far as I know all Honda EGR's of OBDI flavor have the same manifold pattern... if you know what I mean...

EDIT: the manifold EGR holes are all the same on most OBDI honda's... that might make more sense...

The only difference I know of is the elec plug that goes into the EGR valve itself....
                Last edited by ZigenBallZ; 11-02-2004, 07:57 PM.
                RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Originally posted by ZigenBallZ
                  There are 2 studs that are screwed into the mani...they go through the 2 holes in the egr valve housing...

I used those studs and the stock nuts....

AND...

As far as I know all Honda EGR's of OBDI flavor have the same manifold pattern... if you know what I mean...

EDIT: the manifold EGR holes are all the same on most OBDI honda's... that might make more sense...

The only difference I know of is the elec plug that goes into the EGR valve itself....
                  gotcha so all OBDI Hondas should be able to use the same blockoff plate. Nice. Now i gotta get my hands on a spare intake manifold to make the template out of.

Comment

i think all obd 2 engines "might" have the same egr pattern as well. cuz I swapped out my egr from my A1 to my 2000 h22 motor and it was a perfect fit.
                    FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

And I'm still confused. I hate conflicting information. I do have a cam, and if this will help the idle and not hurt gas mileage I'll do it. I'm glad to get response from people that have actually done it. I guess I could take it off if I don't like it, I just don't want to have to tear apart my IM a bunch of times, those gaskets are expensive.
                      -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejayde
                        And I'm still confused. I hate conflicting information. I do have a cam, and if this will help the idle and not hurt gas mileage I'll do it. I'm glad to get response from people that have actually done it. I guess I could take it off if I don't like it, I just don't want to have to tear apart my IM a bunch of times, those gaskets are expensive.
                        You don't really have to tear anything apart...The EGR is right up top...

the EGR gasket is like $3-4...Although for the plate I just used some copper sealant and had no leaks...

It helped my idle from being so lopey and erratic when I had the Delta 272 in my SOHC...

Don't be a sissy boy...
                        RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

I was going to block it off inside the block so that I don't get a CEL.

I am NOT a sissy boy!
                          -Jay

Comment

BUY EGR BLOCK OFF PLATE HERE!

http://www.honda-performance.com/

Search for EGR Block Plate on this site. I bought mine for my H22 here for like 20 bucks. Works well, looks great.
                            Bean Town Crew Member #3
                            Lovin' the 6MT w/ Nav TL!
                            "They Aint the REAL McCOY!"

Comment

Just giving you a hard time Bluejayde...

The only way you'll get a CEL is if you disconnect the EGR plug from the EGR valve...and the vac hose...

otherwise NO CEL...

So even if you block it off from entering the manifold like a Hondata gasket... you'll still have to leave theEGR plugged in to both the electrical connector and vacuum to not get a CEL...

You can either zip tie it somewhere... which is sort of ghetto or do like I did... just put it on over the blockoff plate... still looks legal and everything...
                              RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Working...
                              X