• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More f23 questions...WITH A LINK!

*made some corrections*

f23 has iron sleeves...plus someone posted this link import tuner

from that link
    02. Despite many similarities between Honda's F- and H-series engines, each offers advantages that the other lacks. The H22A brags a higher-flowing, DOHC VTEC cylinder head. The F23, .1 liter more displacement and iron cylinders. What's more, the F23 block features 55mm main bearing journals, while early H22As measure only 50mm, and the F23's girdle is much bigger than most Honda engines. The F23 is the only engine out of the bunch with a stroke as long as 97mm, and an 86mm bore. Because of this, conventional wisdom held that F23 pistons and rods had to be kept with the block when switching heads, but the higher combustion chamber of the H22 head brought compression down to a low 8.8:1 - great for boosted applications, but Chris wasn't after that. Since the F23's piston specs nearly mirror the K20's, and that both engines share a floating rod design, Chris found that K20 pistons would fit on stock F23 rods, inside a stock-bore F23 block. And they'd bump compression to 11.5:1 when used with the H22A head.
    So why does everyone knock the f23 so much on this site? ...wouldn't the larger bearing journals be a big plus?

Of course I don't look to magazines for what kind of build would I want as they have MUCH MUCH deeper pockets than I and they tend to leave out those little issues that would cost the average joe a pretty penny or million...

So are there just some other "flaws" of the f23 I'm not seeing? Granted, if you weren't rebuilding the engine then the h22 is best for near 200hp, but if you planned to rebuild, the iron sleeves would save you a little money but more importantly those larger journals...a plus or not really?

Also, what year model are these "earlier" h22's? And what year are the "later" h22's and what are their journal sizes?
    Last edited by bcjammerx; 02-09-2009, 12:01 AM.
    ____

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
    *made some corrections*

f23 has iron sleeves...plus someone posted this link import tuner

from that link

So why does everyone knock the f23 so much on this site? ...wouldn't the larger bearing journals be a big plus?

Of course I don't look to magazines for what kind of build would I want as they have MUCH MUCH deeper pockets than I and they tend to leave out those little issues that would cost the average joe a pretty penny or million...

So are there just some other "flaws" of the f23 I'm not seeing? Granted, if you weren't rebuilding the engine then the h22 is best for near 200hp, but if you planned to rebuild, the iron sleeves would save you a little money but more importantly those larger journals...a plus or not really?

Also, what year model are these "earlier" h22's? And what year are the "later" h22's and what are their journal sizes?
    OBD1 H/F motors all had 50mm mains. OBD2 H22, F20B, H23 vtec, F23 had 55mm mains.

As of yet, I don't think the 55mm mains really are better as there has never been an argument of the older 50mm mains being weak or insufficient.

As far as people bashing them....the only bashing I've seen is in stock form. The head flows probably just as well as the F22B1/2 does and well...there's not much you can really do to sohc vtec heads without dumping a ton of money into them.

To make the F23 worthwhile, IMO, you'd need to do a head swap. Be it DOHC, DOHC VTEC or F22A sohc.

A KILLER setup would be F23 block bored to 87mm, F20B rods(they're the longest H/F rods and they fit the f23 rod journals) with some custom high compression pistons. You'd have to design the piston for it to not stick out the block too much and probably get a thicker HG. But with that bottom end, any of the heads I mentioned above would make a killer engine. Torquey like a motherfucker.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

i would personally buy a f23 from japanese motors and find a h22 head and drop its would cheaper then buying a h22 lol
      i feel good cause i beat a 350z~

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=127047

Thanks for the info folks!
        ____

Comment

Working...
        X