Cranking Car Then Loud Pop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cranking Car Then Loud Pop!

ok...i have a JDM H22A with the internal coil dizzy. When i tried to crank the car, it cranked, but then i heard a loud pop and the car just stopped trying to crank. I checked the code and it gave me a code 15, which is Ignition output signal. It sounded like the car backfired. What do you guys think the problem is?

Code 15 is tied to either your coil or your ignitor.

Does your starter turn? If not, your battery is probably too weak. If your voltage gets below a certain point, it won't turn over at all, but your radio/everything will still work.

Really, I'd be concerned about that pop. Did you loose a belt?
    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

make sure its not 180 deg off on the dizzy

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
      1992 Accord EX Coupe
      My FS Thread
      Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

I vote timing being out of range.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
        1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
        2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
        2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
        2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

or the dizzy got wet
          "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
          sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
          Did work for: jhoff_cb7
          Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

i am not sure what the problem is.. but i doubt the distributer got wet.. i went all winter in TN without ahood on my car,, through rain and snow... without a problem..
            "Self Renewed"

Comment

It STOPPED cranking? So it doesn't turn over anymore? If you have power, then I'd check your timing belt/camshaft to make sure neither broke.

Then check your coil/ignitor.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by benji View Post
                Code 15 is tied to either your coil or your ignitor.

Does your starter turn? If not, your battery is probably too weak. If your voltage gets below a certain point, it won't turn over at all, but your radio/everything will still work.

Really, I'd be concerned about that pop. Did you loose a belt?
                My starter turns. Didn't lose a belt

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                  It STOPPED cranking? So it doesn't turn over anymore? If you have power, then I'd check your timing belt/camshaft to make sure neither broke.

Then check your coil/ignitor.
                  Checked a few minutes ago and timing belt and camshaft are fine. It still turns over. Im thinking the loud pop was it backfiring because its just open header

Comment

firing order right? I doubt that would give you a code 15, but I know when I had mine wrong it made a loud popping noise.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
                    New people click here

Comment

Originally posted by kelton View Post
                      firing order right? I doubt that would give you a code 15, but I know when I had mine wrong it made a loud popping noise.
                      What did it sound like, and did it stop cranking?

Comment

It made a loud pop sound so i stopped lol. But it would crank after that. When I corrected the firing order it started right up.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
                        New people click here

Comment

you could have had a valve stick, and when the piston came up it bent and poped back up making a loud pop.

my replcement motor had 4 valves sticking. we were able to loosen 3 and then fired it up with our fingers crossed... it popped 3 times really loud and thank goodness it fixed it'sself.
                          "Self Renewed"

Comment

1. Even though the jdm importer might be reputable it doesnt mean they always get a good engine.

2. If your timing belt was fine did you check if it jumped alignment.

3. Check your firing order to make sure it is correct.

4. If you want to go more in depth comp test all 4 cylinders to make sure the engine is good.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

got it started, firing order was wrong and i switched my distributor and cap. Thanks everybody
                              Last edited by lilpat93accord; 02-12-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X