horrible smell after gutting cat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horrible smell after gutting cat.

i gutted my cat like 3 weeks ago. and since then when i drive i have to drive with the windows up because the smell of the exhaust is sooo bad. i know this is normal right because now the cat is not performing what its supposed to. i just wanted to see if anyone else with a gutted cat has this problem. and also smokes bad when shifting at higher rpms but thats carbon blowing out. i do burn a bit of oil so thats also what iam smelling i think. makes me sick. im gonna get a high flow (real) cat soon but i just wanted to see what people have to say. i do feel better top end with a gutted cat too. kinda nice but the smell sucks balls. thanks guys.

i think your car is just running too rich as well as you have an exhaust leak where the cat is. im running a testpipe w/o any leaks and i dont smell anything.

but yes, i too love that freeflowing topend.

Comment

Hmmm, let's see now if you gutted your converter what the car produces after combustion is HCxs, NOxs and COxs and now your converter does not convert those Poisonous gases to produce CO2 and water vapour. So yeah if the car stinks without the converter this is normal! Do get a Highflow magnaflow converter! or just as DrLove'sKuDang has a test pipe.

If you smell exhaust in your car with the windows rolled up then you may have an exhaust leak. If you modified your exhaust, did you install gaskets when you bolted up your flanges? When you downshift does your ride backfire?
      It may also be your O2 sensor is not working and that you are running too rich. Black smoky! Not good for the motor turn the air/fuel mixture screw back abit I think this is located near the ecu? Guys correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, hope this helps. I think DrLove'sKuDang nailed this one.

-Mike from P-Town!

Comment

theres an air fuel mixture screw?!!
        R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
        My members ride page
        Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

a gutted cat will definetely give off that smell, but it'll also give the exhaust a louder, buzz-like tone. if you do plan on getting a high flow cat, i'd recommend Random Technology..complete bolt-on, 2 1/4 inlet/outlet, and passes emissions
          Last edited by PRIMOCB7; 10-30-2004, 10:08 AM.
          5.6L V8 32V DOHC
          JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

primo how much are there high flows? and no my cardoes not backfire, the smell is only when my windows are down. yes i installed gaskets. i know the smell is because its a 230k engineand.i just passed emmissions 2 weeks ago with flying colors. basically think about it, i am running basically a straight pipe with 1 baffler (stock). so with a gutted cat there is no filtering of bad shit going into the enviorment wich produces these nasty smells. but i am in search of a high flow. i am looking into magnaflows they are also able to pass emmissions. thanks. and as for the air fuel mixture screw....wtf? also like i said i do burn a bit of oil so thats probably what im smelling also. and that black greyish smoke is normal with a gutted cat because it carbon blowing out at higher rpms. correct me if im wrong. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
              primo how much are there high flows?... and that black greyish smoke is normal with a gutted cat because it carbon blowing out at higher rpms. correct me if im wrong. thanks.
              i think i paid about $190 for my cat about 2 years ago...and that "black-greyish" smoke is coz of the gutted cat.
              5.6L V8 32V DOHC
              JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                i think i paid about $190 for my cat about 2 years ago...and that "black-greyish" smoke is coz of the gutted cat. [/QUOTE
                yup everyone i know with a gutted cat blows smoke. it makes sense. anyway thanks for the info.

Comment

check ebay, i just got a magnaflow/carsound for $55 shipped, and i passed smog easily with it.

just curious though, from all of you, why does gutting the cat cause that smell? i have a testpipe, which is basically the same thing as a gutted cat, and i dont get that smell? and im not even using any gaskets.

taadaa
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Comment

well a gutted cat is a lot bigger internally than a test pipe. a hollowed cat has a larger diameter inside than a test pipe i have compared them. i just think its has better exhaust flow that makes that smell. plus i have a can tip not a muffler so that dont help.thanks for the link.

Comment

hey that crsound cat. says universal? did u have it welded on?so i have to cut my flanges? maybe ill just cut the flanges off my stock cat and have them welded to the universal cat.

Comment

I want to put a resonator where my cat is, will it fit?

Comment

im sure a muffler shop could make that work, but imo i would keep your cat on, trust me i am getting another cat i wish i never gutted mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho Nuff
                            I want to put a resonator where my cat is, will it fit?

thats what those test pipes are..resonators with flanges
                            5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                            JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

yea you have the get the cat flanged. no big deal though, any muffler shop can do it for you. and i would think that a testpipe would have the best flow. i just think that those of you smelling the exhaust, have a leak.

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                              thats what those test pipes are..resonators with flanges
                              the ones on ebay are resonators, but i had a real testpipe made. it nothing but a 2.5" pipe with flanges... no internal perforations or louvers.

Comment

Working...
                              X