car startles then dies....Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car startles then dies....Help.

Took my car out of storage after sitting for 4 months. Its been start up occasionally once or twice every two weeks.

Car ran fine for a little bit. Went to get gas (92) to fill her up and mix out the old gas. Car started and ran fine while in 3rd gear, I accelerated to pass, the car startles.

I pull over immediately and check to see whats going on. I find nothing out of the ordinary. I drive for about 3 blocks and the car dies after stalling. I can't start it up or anything. After sitting for about 10 mins. I'm able to start the car and drive for about a mile and the car dies again. The car studders terribly while trying to accelerate almost to the point where its going to die again.

Every time I try to start it now, the car tries to crank over but it'll back fire with popping noises out of the exhaust. If I try to feed it some gas, the car dies.

I'm thinking its bad gas that just needs to get out of the system. Could also be bad plugs with poor connection.

Car has a H22 in it running 92 octane. no engine light came on during this whole process.
    Last edited by jimy; 01-24-2009, 07:39 PM.

if you have an internal coil check to see if your coil is bad. I just had to replace mine last night b/c it was stumbling and popping like crazy out the exhaust due to a faulty ignition coil. If it is the coil, you can grab one out of a 9091 internal coil CB7

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Its an external one. But I fixed it just now. It was the rotor inside of the cap. There was a shim that keeps it from spinning freely. It broke off in two pieces. I replaced it with an extra one I had laying around and fired right up.

Comment

Working...
      X