blown GH and opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blown GH and opinions

just got some bad news about my cb.i have a bown headgasket and they(dealer)want to charge me 1255.00 to fix it.damn that alot.i could get an h22 installed with puter and tranny for 2400.00 but i dont have that kind of $ right know.what would you guys do if you where in my shoes? i need my cb for work i drive 70 miles round trip a day.

Get some help from the local SoCal guys. Replacing a head gasket is nothing but 4 hours worth of work, max. But...you'll also have some downtime because you need your head resurfaced.

Get in touch with wed3k. He works at a shop and I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by zacatecas View Post
      i have a bown headgasket and they(dealer)want to charge me 1255.00 to fix it.

Do as d112crzy suggested.
      If you don't feel comfortable working on it yourself or having someone else do it, shop around and get prices from other shops.
      I had a guy quote me $500 for a HG replacement about a month ago.

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

When I did mine in June, it cost a grand total of 600, and I upgraded a few things in the process, such as ARP headstuds and a Bisimoto IM heat shielding gasket. So yeah it could be done for about $425 if you do all the work yourself.

my Honda dealer was quoting me 1447 I believe and they weren't even doing the 3 Angle Valve Job like I had done on my head. I would still have someone knowledgeable there with you helping remove it, that's pretty much what I did, asked my friend who's taken a cyl. head off before and it took us about 6 hrs since I was paranoid about breaking shit.

Then send it off to the machine shop for a 3 angle valve job (downtime of about 3 days).....I even had the valvestem seals replaced and everything since it did have 172k on the clock. The machine shop was 300 for everything they did, HG was 75 from Majestic Honda, ARP headstuds 135, and Bisimoto IM gasket 57 shipped. But really all it should cost you is the 375 + coolant/oil/filter and other supplies and thats it if you do it yourself.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Theres alot of tedious shit involved like:

resurfacing the head
          draining the coolant
          draining the oil
          moving the timing belt
          moving the head
          retorquing back the headstuds back down if they are already in good shape
          you gott heat treat it to get all that bullshit cleaned off it. And clean off old gasket material on the bottom end off.

Then you gotta while your down there inspect the headstuds and shit replace the fluids and double check the timing-belts for good measure. Preventative maintenance is always key. You should do it yourself and have a friend who knows what they are doin to help you out so that next time itll be a sinch.

Comment

Get a haynes manual and follow it thoroughly. There a a few unecessary steps they go through in it but if its your first time you should follow it to the last detail. Give yourself plenty of time, dont rush. I think you'll be okay if you want to do it the economical way. You can get the felpro kit for about $160 off tasauto. Check the head yourself with a straight edge and feeler gauge for warpage.

Haynes shows you how. You might not have to resurface. If you do resurface I dont think it should be more than $200. I had one off an acclaim resurfaced for $85. You can also resuse the bolts in most cases(not tty), skip the t belt,seals etc if they are not leaking/worn too bad. Most important thing is the torquing/detorquing procedure. Have to pay close attention on that.

Comment

cant you just get a whole new f22 for less than $200-$150 from the junkyard. A complete motor swap is much easier and faster if you have the tools. I dunno, if it was me, I wouldnt waste time on a headgasket unless I wanted and had time to learn.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079 View Post
                cant you just get a whole new f22 for less than $200-$150 from the junkyard. A complete motor swap is much easier and faster if you have the tools. I dunno, if it was me, I wouldnt waste time on a headgasket unless I wanted and had time to learn.
                i kinda want to somewhat agree however a HG job doesnt require a cherry picker.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

over a grand??? screw that dude...find a local man/small shop. Had mine done for about 600 w/resurfacing head included.

*Needs*
                  -New shocks
                  -Struts
                  -Drop
                  -Cleaning
                  -New Tires/Wheels
                  -New Window Tint
                  -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Thug View Post
                    skip the t belt
                    No! lol
                    if i had my engine apart i'd find a new timing belt while i was at it. save some time and money in the long run.
                    96 mx-6, needs work...
                    91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

Might as well break down the timing belt side of the motor and replace all that. An OEM timing kit can be had for something like 150 bucks and that includes everything. I blew my headgasket but im shooting a trickle of oil down the engine stamp so its no biggie until I get my old beater back on the road. When it comes to a honda...if you are going to do it do it right or dont do it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
                        Might as well break down the timing belt side of the motor and replace all that. An OEM timing kit can be had for something like 150 bucks and that includes everything. I blew my headgasket but im shooting a trickle of oil down the engine stamp so its no biggie until I get my old beater back on the road. When it comes to a honda...if you are going to do it do it right or dont do it at all.
                        you can also go with Gates, they are quality products.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                          i kinda want to somewhat agree however a HG job doesnt require a cherry picker.
                          funny you should say that. I once had to use one to pull the heads off a cummins m11 ..lol.....yeah but..I guess it does make sense to just swapp the motor. even though most people also change the seals,t belt, wp, clutch,etc as well...

Comment

i learned how to change headgaskets in autotecb it does take a while but its not too hard
                            to achieve a Fuck, you must first give a Fuck
                            Follow me on twitter @tru_whitetrash

Comment

Working...
                            X