spun bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spun bearing?

meaning what are the symptoms that are cuased by a spun bearing?
    i got a valve adjustment on my teg but it still makes a strange sound.ive been searching and im afraid that my teg might have a spun bearing.

Spun bearings are typically caused by oil starvation. The crankshaft/camshaft bearing surfaces ride on a cushion of oil, and when that oil disappears, the physical metal bearing sticks to the crankshaft/camshaft and rolls out of its place.

Have you over revved any? run the motor low on oil? anything else along those lines? If not, then you might look elsewhere for your problem before you get into (engine) bearing problems.

1. What kind of noise are you hearing?
    2. Where does it sound like it's coming from?
    3. Do you hear it all across the rpm band? All speeds?
    4. Is it a rhythmic sound, or hit and miss?
    5. Does the volume change at any time?

Have you changed your oil recently? If not, and it's due, look for stuff in the oil when you change it. Spun bearings typically turn into shiny bits of metal floating through the system, so you should be able to see them.
    Last edited by benji; 01-14-2009, 02:36 AM.
    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

metallic shit in the oil
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Hmm.. Spun bearing usually means seized engine. Happened on a GA16DE I worked on. I forgot to install o rings on a fuel injector and the fuel broke down the oil and the egnine spun a bearing.

If the rod bearings are worn and have excess clearences then tapping/knocking type noises that increase with rpm are a telltale symptom. Low oil pressure is also a symptom because of too much bearing clearence. Drain the oil like wed said and look for metallic shit.

The best way to confirm for sure though is to pull the pan off remove the main caps and rod caps, inspect the bearings. There might be an easier way on tegs but I dont know. If all you did was adjust the valves then its probably just valvetrain noise. Supposedly when you adjust the valves they get louder at first then quiet down over time but thats never been my experience.

sound like this?
        Last edited by Fake Thug; 01-14-2009, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by benji View Post
          Spun bearings are typically caused by oil starvation. The crankshaft/camshaft bearing surfaces ride on a cushion of oil, and when that oil disappears, the physical metal bearing sticks to the crankshaft/camshaft and rolls out of its place.

Have you over revved any? run the motor low on oil? anything else along those lines? If not, then you might look elsewhere for your problem before you get into (engine) bearing problems.

1. What kind of noise are you hearing?
          2. Where does it sound like it's coming from?
          3. Do you hear it all across the rpm band? All speeds?
          4. Is it a rhythmic sound, or hit and miss?
          5. Does the volume change at any time?

Have you changed your oil recently? If not, and it's due, look for stuff in the oil when you change it. Spun bearings typically turn into shiny bits of metal floating through the system, so you should be able to see them.
          whenever i hear this sound ,the first thing that comes to mind is the sound of
          bike chain,kinda like a rattle.it doesnt do it at all times.only at mid to high rpm.3500 and up.after i got the valve adjustment.it got alittle louder,but drove smoother.i dont think my motor is suffering from oil starvation.i have a 5 quart oil pan.someone told me i might have bad gas.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyflip View Post
            whenever i hear this sound ,the first thing that comes to mind is the sound of
            bike chain,kinda like a rattle.it doesnt do it at all times.only at mid to high rpm.3500 and up.after i got the valve adjustment.it got alittle louder,but drove smoother.i dont think my motor is suffering from oil starvation.i have a 5 quart oil pan.someone told me i might have bad gas.
            I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time picturing what a bike chain sounds like. Do you just mean the sound a chain makes as it goes around the gears on a bike? If so, that sounds more like a traditional bearing noise (not cam/crank bearing). Are you loosing any coolant anywhere? I had a noise kinda like that and my water pump was dying.

Can you guess where it is coming from in the engine bay? High/low, left/right?

Also, what car do you have, exactly?

Comment

Arent spung bearings caused by over-reving or mis-shifting causing it to overrev causing it to spin a bearing. I didnt hear anyone mention this?

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                Arent spung bearings caused by over-reving or mis-shifting causing it to overrev causing it to spin a bearing. I didnt hear anyone mention this?
                I mentioned it in my first post. Anyways, yes, over revving will cause it. Anything that causes the cushion of oil to disappear will cause it.

Comment

Originally posted by benji View Post
                  I mentioned it in my first post. Anyways, yes, over revving will cause it. Anything that causes the cushion of oil to disappear will cause it.
                  my bad i was in a rush breezing through it

Comment

this motor has had it s share of mis shifts and stuff.but the power is diffently there ,is just that noise is killing me. found that a nut or bolt (what ever ) was loose on the header but i doubt that can rattle.car did over heat yesterday for no reason.open the cap and it was kinda full.just topped it off and was on my way.

Comment

should i really be worried about this tapping noise? reason i say this is because ive been driving it how it is and nothing has happened. the tapping doesnt get louder at higher rpms.im not losing power at all. feels good.
                      i starting to think its normal but i need closure.

Comment

Get a mechanics stethoscope. And find out where that noise is comin from.

Comment

Working...
                        X