What spins bearings ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What spins bearings ?

I ve read the expression 'threw a rod' 'spun a bearing' and 'dropped a valve' Im still clueless as to why this happens. Is this from over revving or just spirited driving? Im concerned with this I dont rev past 5K or launch but im just wondering.

Those meanings can happen at anytime. How you could spin a bearing is by not having your rods set at the right torque spec or even running with very dirty oil or not enough oil,throwing a rod occurs when you have spun an bearing,and dropping a valve happens when you rev at very high rpms or even mis-shifting from 5th to 2nd at a high speed, can even happen with a death com(ecu with no rev limiter) meaning you would rev past rpm danger zone. I hope that helps you understand those meanings a little bit better and as for anyone else feel free to correct me if off or wrong about something.
    NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
    DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Spun bearings happen when there is inadequate lubrication. At high rpms, or with other mechanical issues such as a failing oil pump, insufficient oil pressure or old nasty oil that doesn't lubricate properly.

A "dropped" valve occurs when for whatever reason, the valve stem cracks and the rest of the valve drops into the combustion chamber. This causes a really bad gnarly mess of metal destruction that is cool to look at, as long as it wasn't yours.

A "thrown" rod typically refers to a broken connecting rod that comes out of the block. They are moving really fast, and have a lot of momentum, so often when they fail, they exit the engine and get "thrown" somewhere else. The can be the result of severely spun bearings and engine temperatures, or it can be from detonation which can cause the rod to snap. It can also be from high RPM stresses where the metal just can't handle the stress anymore, and fails. I have one of these at home from an F22 that was running a little funny, and it got so hot that it literally melted at the bearing end of the rod. I have also seen blocks with 3 or 4 holes in it as the rod spun around in the engine freely, and then exited the block.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

If I can read right.
        Having a bearing 'spun' can happen when a) the bolts to your bottom end are lose b) you do not have oil & if you do its very dirty oil.

A spun bearing, high engine heat or detonation can cause a rod to be thrown, which often times has a litteral meaning.

High RPM can also be the cause of engine damage. Things can happen like valve dropping and high rpm stress to metal parts.

Would holding RPM's past the safe zone or "rev limit" cause 'valve floating' ?

What should we as cb7 owners do to avoid an oil pump failure ?

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
          If I can read right.
          Having a bearing 'spun' can happen when a) the bolts to your bottom end are lose b) you do not have oil & if you do its very dirty oil.

A spun bearing, high engine heat or detonation can cause a rod to be thrown, which often times has a litteral meaning.

High RPM can also be the cause of engine damage. Things can happen like valve dropping and high rpm stress to metal parts.

Would holding RPM's past the safe zone or "rev limit" cause 'valve floating' ?

What should we as cb7 owners do to avoid an oil pump failure ?
          Valve float can occur at any high engine speed. It happens when the cam shaft is spinning so fast the valve ends up staying partially open, ie it never has the chance to fully close between intake strokes. There is a potential for the valve to stay open far enough that the piston will hit the valve, which will bend the valve and maybe put a hole in the piston. It's really the same kind of problem you would have if the timing belt snaps or the key on the crank pulley comes out (which happened to my accord, and bent some valves).

Just to add, a spun bearing is literally when a connecting rod bearing, crankshaft bearing, or camshaft bearing spins with whatever it is supposed to be clamping. All of these bearings slide in quite easily, so you are really depending on the caps to be tight enough and lubrication good enough for them to not move.

The best way to avoid oil pump failure is to make sure you always have enough oil in the car, and if you ever see the oil pressure light on the dash to stop the car immediately, which will help prevent any damage from occurring.
          Last edited by benji; 01-01-2009, 12:10 PM.
          1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

I left my car on for some one while i went to the store I came back and my oil light was blinking. I threw some oil in the crankcase and drove home. I dont hear and rod knock and dont see and smoke following me but is this bad?

Comment

How long was it running with the light on? When that light comes on you have close to no oil pressure and it basically means turn the engine off as soon as you see that light. Does it make any noises that it didn't before? Its hard to know what damage was done without taking it apart.

Comment

I went inside the store for about 15 minutes theres no telling how long my car idled with the light on. When I got back to my car I was like WTF why did you not turn my car off? Hes like oh man its just another light on your dash board I dont know what the fuck it is, stop hanging out with your friends and fix it. So yeah man this fool jumped in my pocket just to be a undercover hater. *edit* my car makes abunch of noise but nothing new since this happend. * I hope its not the oil pump since I just had a timing job done.
                Last edited by 8ball; 01-28-2009, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X