how do you get a turbo cb7 to pass smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you get a turbo cb7 to pass smog

my buddy has a 91 4door with a boosted A4 motor we need some info or a little help getting it threw emissions
    Last edited by v-dub; 12-20-2008, 12:35 PM.

Easy... switch over to a greddy kit. Greddy kits are smog legal.

Comment

you gonna buy it!!?

Comment

the greddy kit is carb legal. doesnt mean its definitely going to pass smog. you need to tune it properly to pass smog. and run a cat. its not easy tuning a motor that wasnt made for boost to run in a way that will please the sniffer.

honestly itd probably be easier and cheaper to just put it back to stock. maybe swap in a stock f22. then have it smogged and swap it back.

or find a shop that will 'pass' it.

Comment

well we got a stock ecu,manifold and all the little things but its just a pain in the ass

Comment

is the engine stock otherwise. if so it shouldnt be too hard to mount those things to it. you can leave a lot of it intact like the intercooler and stuff. just get enough out of the way to run the stock stuff.

or tune. tuning works. but it can be expensive if you cant do it yourself. it can cause damage if you lean it out enough to pass smog too.

Comment

yeah in a way its stock.. so we gotta lean it out and throw a cat on there?

Comment

dont lean it out too much, or it will fail for sure. Just make sure its properly tuned, all the emissions components are functioning (i.e. clean egr ports), and you have a good cat on there.
                00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

disconect the charge pipe put a cat and tune for all motor
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

were taking the turbo off and throwin a stock ecu in it and maybe advance the timing a little

Comment

Just take it to a shop where they arn't that strict. the one I go to just looks at my car and thats all. No emissions or nothing. Try to find an older shop with someone you know or someone you knw knows.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                      "The Turtle"
                      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

not in AZ man.. they make you put it on the sniffer unless your 96 and newer cause they just plug and play

Comment

Yep thats right, you cant pass here in az unless the car actually passes lol. Oh, and dont advance the timing either, or you will fail for NOx. Trust me, Im a certified state emissions tech.
                          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

its the same way in jersey. however the independent shops can fake it. close the door, hook the sniffer to a passing car, and say it was on your car. illegal, but its done all the time.

Comment

do you have an O2 sensor/cat. converter/egr? or a tuned ECU?

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Working...
                              X