my H23 intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my H23 intake

it ended up working really well.my car runs better,it feels more open and its deep dosent really bog at low rpm's.but im wondering if i need those butterflys
    i eliminated them cause i guess the A1 doesnt have the vacuum for them so i took them out and sealed up all the holes. i just need to know if thats a NO NO

You dont NEED them but they help out the low end a little more with them in their and hooked up right, but if their out it wont hurt anything, just more power all the time...

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=91030 <--MY RIDE!
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140230 <--MY ongoing ENGINE BUILD!..

Comment

i was wondering about a spacer for my throttle body and plenum.how big is too big and how tall is too tall? i can makes thes spacers my self at work out of alluminum and im gonna go crazy on it i want MAD air!!! can there be to much air?

Comment

i'd say too tall is when you can't close your hood flush with the car.

if you sealed up those holes in the "spacer" make sure everything is nice and smooth, you don't want to create any areas with. turbulence

Comment

turbulence

i dont get it!

Comment

Removing the butterflies will in no way make your car feel stronger all the time, it is quite the opposite. You will lose torque, throttle response and gas mileage under 4k rpm, but you will get a little better acceleration and horsepower in the upper rpm, especially if you can rev high.

Turbulence is when air is not flowing smoothly. In general- longer, narrower intake runners give better torque and bottom end performance. It is because the air still moves quickly (efficient) through the smaller, less turbulent passages at low rpm. shorter, wider runners give better acceleration and horsepower in the upper end, because the air moves at that fast, efficient speed when the engine is really trying to breathe. This setup feels weak in the bottom end because the volume of air in the intake is the same, but it is flowing at a slower, less efficient rate.

It depends what you are going for and what you want to do. I highly prefer to keep the butterfly system for a daily driver- Honda had good reason to add all that crap, it makes the engine feel stronger in general.
            In a car I was building just to be as fast as it could while racing, I would remove the spacer completely, and just bolt the plenum to the runners with shorter hardware.

There is a link in my sig on how to add the IAB system if you wanted to keep it, dialing the opening point wherever feels best to you. It sounds like you're already going another way with it, though. Good Luck whatever you decide to do.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
            After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
            Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
            PM me and get it done right!

Comment

so i need to seal ALL the holes? i just did the two outside ones. but i feels like im loosing mpg now its like a pig! just sucks it down

Comment

Originally posted by v-dub View Post
                so i need to seal ALL the holes? i just did the two outside ones. but i feels like im loosing mpg now its like a pig! just sucks it down
                it would be better to fill and smooth all the holes from the butterfly assembly than to leave them there and make the flow turn to crap.

Without the dual runner system, your gas mileage and throttle response is going to suck in the bottom end. If you had tried to hook the system up before taking it apart, you could have seen the difference. My engine responds immediately to a tap on the gas anywhere from about 2400rpm up. When I ran with the system open, it felt way weak until almost 4k. If you filled the first spacer and added another, open or not, it may get you some more bottom end. It's always a give and take.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Working...
                X