Ran engine lean for too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran engine lean for too long

Well i just took my h22a4 apart and to my dispair i found two of my valves are cracked i guess. and other one is just not seating at all. I called my grandpa and he asked my if there was any build up on the valves and I told him their is a white carbon build up on all my exhaust valves. He says to replace the head. I don't want too cause it doesn't seem too bad. What should I do???
    WTB:
    88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
    OR
    90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

just have it rebuilt no reason to replace it. Just have it cleaned and resurfaced and have the shop lap some new valves in should be fine.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
    member ride thread
    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

what sort of things should i look for to see if any damage has occured from me running it so lean. I didn't know I was running it lean, but i guess I should have figured that seeing as I was running with f22 injectors on the h22. Also I have been running the pt3 computer instead of the p13 cause it was working so much better, i wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it. I have venom 450cc injectors now put them on last week, so hopefully that will richen up my mixture. I'm going to try to find some valves and hopefully get them by saturday. With it being thanksgiving and all i hope that I can get some parts. I'm going to get 8 new exhaust valves and put those in. can i just use valve grinding compound and check for leaks? or do i have to have the new valves played with?
      WTB:
      OR
      90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

If I were get the head rebuilt and get it tuned. With those 450cc It could probaly use a good tune, plus that will fix the problem of running to lean again. To check for leak in the valves just take a little bit of water and poor it into the ports. If it just trikles out your good, but if it comes out pretty quickly some machining is in order. (this needs to done with the valves springs installed.)

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
        "The Turtle"
        DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

replace the exhaust valves and give it a valve job.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

how lean were you running it and how do you know you were running lean. just by the color of the valves is not a good judge of how lean you were running.

member ride thread
            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
            I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
            John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
              how lean were you running it and how do you know you were running lean. just by the color of the valves is not a good judge of how lean you were running.
              actually it is a good judgement. white = too hot.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Damn no good

Comment

Originally posted by immeraufdemhund View Post
                  what sort of things should i look for to see if any damage has occured from me running it so lean. I didn't know I was running it lean, but i guess I should have figured that seeing as I was running with f22 injectors on the h22. Also I have been running the pt3 computer instead of the p13 cause it was working so much better, i wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it. I have venom 450cc injectors now put them on last week, so hopefully that will richen up my mixture. I'm going to try to find some valves and hopefully get them by saturday. With it being thanksgiving and all i hope that I can get some parts. I'm going to get 8 new exhaust valves and put those in. can i just use valve grinding compound and check for leaks? or do i have to have the new valves played with?
                  thats exactly what i was doing, except mines was the jdm h22 but i heard that was not good at all so had to get jdm injectors and use the jdm p13, even though it ran like crap, i say just get a chipped p28, i used my friends and it ran better, not as good as with the stock accord ecu but it ran much nicer than the p13, i heard is because the p13 cannot interact with nothing other than stock wiring, but the p28 you can add/remove a couple of things like the egr, knock sensor, and so on, just make sure that's chipped with the h22 basemap

Comment

Just get the head rebuilt as stated above.

Injector size is only an issue if you are running any type of stock ecu. Running a chipped ecu, will give you the ability to tune. IE, size of injectors, change fuel map, vtec engagement, redline etc.

Hope this clarifies a little.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

and just to be absolutely sure youre not running lean, after you rebuild the head, get a new O2 sensor and a good air/fuel ratio gage,

Comment

I already have a new O2 sensor on this car, and i just bought a air/fuel meter. I messed up were i mounted it, but it's going right under my switches for my cruise, sunroof, and light resistor. I couldn't tell you how lean i was running it. Grandpa said I was running lean because of the white carbon build up on the exhaust and the spark plugs... I'd say it wasn't too bad. I also don't wonder though if some of it is from the e85 i was running for about a month?

I'm just now starting to take out my valves and to clean up the head, but it got dark and my mom needs some help, so i have to put this little project on the side.

As for running a p28 that is chipped i did and i hated it. the p13 ran so much better and the pt3 ran even better yet. All truth be told though i think i did a poor job of putting this motor in. I may have hid the vtec wires well and made it look like it goes in there, but I was working on someone elses budget at the time when i was putting the motor in. The guy i bought it from wanted a 10 second car and figured h22a4 was teh win. I told him with enough money we can get this thing to fly. but also reminded him that this is a honda... not a supra, not a porsche.. a honda. A good, reliable, fun car. not a 10 second car. He started selling and got caught went to prison, so i bought the car from his girlfriend. I souldn't have put it back together without first getting a gasket kit, that would have helped. oh well you live you learn.
                        WTB:
                        OR
                        90-93 Accord.

Comment

oh yeah, I found a seemingly good deal on valves on ebay. they were nitrated something...blah blah blah high quality stuff. That and they were 79 + 15 shipping for all 16 valves. Honda, advance, auto zone, o'reily's..and a few local shops wanted $26 per valve and 3-5 buisness days to ship. I figured if i'm going to wait i'm giong to get something worth while. I was going to get all my valves from ipp.net but at the last minute decided i'm not going to race my car, just fool with it so using something close to stock should be fine.

oh and as a side note i have put in a few valves before, just never put in brand new valves. That's the only thing making me nervous.
                          WTB:
                          OR
                          90-93 Accord.

Comment

theres a few tuners here that can hook u up with some jdm valves out of a build

as fas as in computer wise, u might have tried a p28 with a different map, thats probably why u didnt like it in the long run the chipped comp will be better (when tuned properly)

as far as the motor i would do more research on the motor and how it likes to be treated
                            aparently dohc vtec motors are a lil bit bitchy when it comes to their air and fuel

always use premium fuel (i cant believe u used e85)
                            dont up ur FP to try and compesate for leaness
                            change all ur EX valves
                            check ur pistons for melting or weakening

and dont try to go cheap on the motor, ull end up opening it again
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

I'd say it wasn't too bad. I also don't wonder though if some of it is from the e85 i was running for about a month?
                              This is definatly when you were running lean. Running stock injectors and e-85 is a very bad idea because in essence your running 30% leaner than gasoline. That accompanied with small injectors is a bad idea.

member ride thread
                              DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS

Comment

Working...
                              X