engine rebuilding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine rebuilding.

i am about to change the piston rings on my engine. now do i have to take off the engine from the car. or can i get to the piston from the bottom of the engine. like take the whole bottom off with the pistons?????
    anyone has done this before?
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

your ur crazy dude,lol, the motor has to be out so the cylinders can be rehoned and checked for warpage. then u can just follow a manual or i would just have a shop do it, im a confident mechanic but when it comes to clylinder wall clearence its a very touchy subject imo.
    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

dude.

Just pay someone.

PLEASE.
      Noobie my ASS.

Comment

lol why the F should i pay someone when i can do that shit my self. the thing is that i know how to swap engines and tranny. and all that shit. but the thing is that i just wanted to know if i could change only the piston rings with the block still in the car.

yo steveb. can u give me a overview of how should i do it. just the simple stuff. u don't have to get into details and stuff. just what i should take first second third. the way i should take off the piston etc. thanks man.

Comment

thanks dude. i thought i could pull the piston from the lower part but it was way off. lol
          thanks again

Comment

It would be a lot easier to do the job with the engine on an engine stand. You should just pull the engine out. By the time you yank the head and all attached accessories, you're halfway there. Also, you gonna have to drop the engine on the drivers side to get to the timing belt components. Trust me, pull the motor man. You'll save youself a lot of stress and lessen the likely hood of damaging your engine. Just a suggestion.

Comment

you guys are fuckin nuts. Let me know how this shit goes.......(it'll make a good story)

Steveb- What engine did you rebuild while still in the car?(i know you said v-8, but more specifically what exact motor, and in what car, and what year car. Did you do it yourself?

Do you believe in plastiguage?
              How did you hone the cylinder walls to spec?
              How did you get the engine perfectly clean?
              How long did the engine run?

Not trying to be a dick, but that is pretty outrageous to rebuild a motor while IN the car.
              Noobie my ASS.

Comment

im sayin pay the hundred bucks to have the block machined to spec and then do the rest yourself.i am always looking for the cheapest way out without fucking myself and thats what i owuld do.
                Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

steveb- I thought you said you did a rebuild of a v-8 with it in the car????
                  "Yes, some of us have changed out crank and rod bearings, and piston rings with the crank and block still in the car. I've done V8's, not fourbangers, but the process is the same.
                  It's not that difficult." quote

And mayberry.

I agree totally. Thats why i build my own. However, someone who is asking these questions should just pay imo. I've seen WAY too many newbs try to rebuild an engine and get stuck/lost half way through. THen it costs twice as much for a builder to piece together their fucked up project.
                  Noobie my ASS.

Comment

crank and rod bearings, and rings=rebuild.

Anyways. Not trying to be a dick, just curious.

What car did you do that to anyways?
                    Noobie my ASS.

Comment

hey guys i just wanna chane my piston rings and that is it. its not a f22a engine but an american engine. 98 plymuth. i asked here because the overhal piston ring replacement its preaty much in all 4 cilinder eingine singel cam.

and just saing this there are planty of mechanics around here that replace the rings on the f22 without pulling it off the car. the thing is that they charge u about $800. for that kind of money i can buy 2 engines from the junk jard. lol.

Comment

We're just saying it will be a whole lot easier to do the job with the engine out. I've mentioned your situation to all the guys in my engine building department, and they all agreed with me. Pull the motor first.

Comment

AND......

I would spit in the face of a mechanic that told me he would do the rings and only RINGS for 800 with the motor STILL IN THE CAR.
                          Is it possible?

SURE

IS it the RIGHT way to do things....

HELL NO.

If you ONLY want to change the rings(not advisable) then give it a try. The worst that will happen is that you'll pay someone else.
                          Noobie my ASS.

Comment

hahaha lol empera did it i think. lol
                            sure u gona have to check the cilinder walls since its an old engine. but in my case i have a 98. no mater how bad the car has been treated i think the cilinder walls are still in good shape.
                            so i think i would change just the piston rings. but i will check the cilinder walls etc before i do that. if the worst thing happens i would just get another engine.

Comment

It doesn't matter how old the engine. The miles matter.

For whatever reason you have bad rings, is the same reason that wears down your cylinder walls.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.
                              Noobie my ASS.

Comment

Working...
                              X