Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issues in the cold!!!

When it was warm my car started fine.

Now that it is getting cold my car will start and immediately cut off if you dont hold the gas for 2-5 minutes until it warms up depending on how cold it is.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanx!!!
    F22B Swapped CB7

Sounds like a tightened IACV
    Your man for wiring solutions!
    CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
    CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Don't really remember on the F22's, but I know on my 4G63 the coolant temperature sensor causes this....when they go out, they read a really low resistance (high temperature) and the engine doesn't squirt enough fuel for the cold start. Could also be the FIAV/IACV. Could be a vacuum leak. Check for vac leaks then move to the throttlebody and associated components.
      VIP Status.

Comment

People, people! Keep it simple, will ya? Test the cold cranking amperage of the battery. When's the last time you replaced it?

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by IAmTheNight View Post
          People, people! Keep it simple, will ya? Test the cold cranking amperage of the battery. When's the last time you replaced it?
          ....the car starts, runs and shuts off
          Battery is no issue
          Your man for wiring solutions!
          CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
          CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

was the FITV swapped too?
            96 Accord SiR driveline installed. CF2 donar

Comment

yea it was swapped 2, i jus found out i didnt hav a thermostat so i just put 1 of those in and now my heat works and it takes a little less time 2 warm up
              F22B Swapped CB7

Comment

how would i no if my IACV is tight or not...i had a shop adjust it when i was having idle issues,,, im considering changing the coolant temperature sensor and seeing if tht works
                F22B Swapped CB7

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
                  ....the car starts, runs and shuts off
                  Battery is no issue
                  If the engine shuts off immediately after starting, it could be a cold cranking amperage issue.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

If the engine shuts off immediately after starting, it could be a cold cranking amperage issue.
                    No.
                    wat?

Comment

explain the reasoning behind your theory?
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                        explain the reasoning behind your theory?
                        I'm thinking he means battery cold cranking amps. CCA is used to define the ability of the battery to crank the motor over in extreme cold weather.The rating is the number of amps a new, fully charged battery can deliver at 0* Farenheit for 30 seconds, while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts, for a 12 volt battery. So in that case the battery would be weak in some cases if the car takes a long time to start. What this has to do with the engine AFTER its running IDK.
                        Last edited by Fake Thug; 11-25-2008, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by willhholla1 View Post
                          When it was warm my car started fine.

Now that it is getting cold my car will start and immediately cut off if you dont hold the gas for 2-5 minutes until it warms up depending on how cold it is.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanx!!!
                          I wonder if the ignter is acting up. Any check engine light?

Comment

How's the all basic stuff? Spark plugs and cap/rotor specifically.
                            Coolant temp sensor isn't hard to replace and not much money. But a preliminary check of all the basics would be a good idea before throwing money at it.
                            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                              No.
                              Yes.

If the engine shuts off immediately after it turns over, it could be a cold cranking amperage issue with the battery. The alternator then must be run for some period of time (the time depending on the condition of the alternator) to charge the battery enough that the engine can run on alternator power. And yes, the battery needs to have some charge in it in order to continue engine operation if it is still connected to the alternator. Since the OP has been having problems in cold weather and the engine is shutting off IMMEDIATELY after starting, a cold cranking amperage issue is feasible. Just because the engine starts does not mean there is no problem with the battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X